VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most know that when you remove the pinch bolt and nut, you should NOT reuse it. They are torque to yield bolts. So instead of giving the dealership or online vendors that will rape you in shipping charges, I came up with this.
What's needed.
Dremel with sanding disks
2- 1/2 - 13x3in. Grade 8 bolts ($1.57/ea)
4- 1/2 grade 8 washers (sold in 3pk $0.94)
2- 1/2-13 nylon locking nuts ($1.18)
Total $7.38

Obviously you need to jack up the car and remove the wheels, and remove the Oem bolts and nuts.
Now take your dremel and clean up the inside where the bolt slides through. You want the bolt to be able to slide through with no resistance.

Next you need to grind the washers flat on a side. This is so the fit nice on the sides of the knuckle.

Now put a washer on the bolt first then slide it through the knuckle. Put another washer on and finally the nylon locking nut.

Now you have a nut and bolt that you can reuse more than once. Oem torque specs is 44ft. lbs. and a 1/4 turn. A little anti-seize on the bolt probably would not hurt either.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
500x better. furbar strikes again.

Aren't nylon locking nuts kind of one time use. at a dollar its still a lot cheaper.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technically yeah they are. They did have grade 8 nuts at .50 a pc. You would just have to use a lock washer. Still much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
id say use a grade 8 nut.. spot of lock tite (blue probably) and a lock washer.

but yes.. def :K:

granted.. im that guy that reuses pinch bolts :D oops..

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i reused the pinch bolts too lol. whenever i need to take them out, theyll be replaced with these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts