VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys ever have the door locks freeze up so the key wont go in?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Used to happen to my Beetle all the time. Try dipping you key in rubbing alcohol, should un-freeze it. I suggest taking the entire handle apart and lubbing it up with WD-40 or something. What happens is if you do not have a tight seal water gets in there and drys up the lub and the moisture never leaves. Then when it's cold (like now) it freezes.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Db thank god I dont drive in the cold with that car.But I used to and it was a real pain in the ass!

·
Registered
180 Posts
my locks freeze up all the time, but i've never had the passenger side freeze up at all... i guess its just cause its not used that much... so if they ever freeze up always remember to try the passenger side cause there's a chance it'll work...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
my locks on my 92 golf used to freeze up all the time, especially when i was at work at Ski Rountop. one time i hadda crawl through my trunk to get in. lol but yea, usually u can free one of them up.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark:
Your right the passenger side almost never freezes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On average the passenger side is used 50% less then the driver side.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine have frozen up before as well...once they thawed out, a dose of WD-40 cured the problem for me...

I need to spray them again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, you could say my lock froze up. The whole cylinder came out on my key last month. I got a kit at my local VW Dealer which is just the cylinder replacement and you use the same key. Be careful though. There are small springs and wafer parts that cannot be replaced and should be reused. I made the mistake of losing one of the springs and had to hunt around for a locksmith who did VW's and Porshe's to get the little spring. Without the spring it was a re-key job at the dealer which would set me back a hundie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with the lock on the passenger side. The key turns fine in the lock, and the "plunger" on the door goes up indicating that the door is unlocked but when you pull on the handle, nothing. the door stays locked. So I lock, then unlock the door again....nothing. This seems to only happen at night. It's been cold here in Colorado, but not even close to freezing so I'm stumped. I sprayed some WD-40 on the door latch hoping that would help, but this morning before I drove to work once again the passenger door was locked solid.

Short of opening up the door panel, any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts