VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is the scenario with my '02 Jetta 1.8t with 10,000 miles....

Fueling a 3/4 full tank on the way from back from Vegas on Thanksgiving weekend, fuel starts overflowing from the fill hole. I take out the nozzle and gas is literally spewing sideways and splashing against the pump (and of course down the side of the car).

After immediately washing the gas off the paint, we got on the freeway in stop and go traffic, never going much over 10MPH. After 2 miles, the idle starts going crazy around 1000RPM, and then the car just quit. I had to push it to the side of the freeway. After 10 minutes I was able to start it, and after another 20 minutes of revving the engine, was able to get the car to stay at idle. No check engine lights ever came on.

I took it to the dealer the next Monday for the 10,000 mile service and to check into why it stalled out. They had no clue. They checked the baffles in the fuel system and the tank, and there were no error codes at all. Said they hadn't seen anything like that happen before - possibly bad gas or something. I went on my way.

So today the check engine light lit up after just having it serviced two weeks ago.

Anyone heard of anything similar or have any ideas?

Best Regards,

Karlis

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hmmm. You said you check engine light came on now. Is it idleing rough now?? When you where idleing rough after you filled up with gas, did it sound like an old VW Bug and have a bad smell? (like rotten eggs?).
jon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thaks for the Reply,

No, it has run just fine ever since it happened. Idles with no problem.

Yes, right when it stalled, it did smell pretty bad as I was revving the engine. I assumed it was burning off excess fuel from the overfill. No smells since however.

Wonder if it's possible it screwed something in the emissions system or catalytic converter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took it to the dealer on Saturday, and it turns out there was a fuel pump and fuel system leak sensor that went bad. The computer only checks it every 4-500 miles or so, so that's why I didn't get an error code after the stall-out the first time. Dealer had the parts in stock and did the work that morning. All was under warranty of course. So all is good at this point. Hope that's the last time I have to take it in for a long, long time.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well glad to hear you got every thing fixed. Lets just hope your coilpacks don't go now!! (have had 3 go in two weeks, just waiting for the 4th and last to go).
jon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke too soon. After 50 miles our check engine light went on AGAIN. So the dealer today said the valve they replaced was faulty. So they replaced it again today, ran it throught the tests four times and seems to be ok. Runs fine so far, but today when I refueled, the damn autoshutoff didn't engage and I get gas all over the place again. Anyone ever heard of this? I can see if it was one faulty pump, but this has happened now 4 times at different pumps.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
hmmm. is there no back pressure to shut the pump off?? I've only had this happen to twice, once on my VW and once on my moms BMW. but haven't had any problems. not sure what the problem could be then.
jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts