VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've scoured the existing threads, and nothing resembles this.

While driving, never standing still (So far) a slight growling noise will start, and then I will see my temperature start going up. It is not a spike that resembles an electrical short, but a steady increase. If I coast and let it idle, it will not increase as rapid as if I were to stay on the gas (So it would most likely be an actual overheat).

Turn off engine for apprx 1 minute and restart and the temp will go back down to the correct temp.

Have tried playing with the heater to help the temp come down, but this only slows the increase into the red zone of the temp gauge.
(I have never let it go into the red zone)

I took it into the shop and no errors were to be found on the computer. I drove it away from the shop and was stuck in 5 o'clock traffic downtown for 10 minutes with no problems. THEN, just before my entry onto the highway, it starts growling and the temp increases.

Only sporadically and in many different scenarios does this scenario happen.

Anyone have any ideas please?

2011 Golf
1.2 tsi

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
1.2 liter. hmm...

How fast is the increase. If it takes less than 1 minute to go from middle of the gauge to pinned I would say water pump.

Check your fans see if they kick on when the temp starts to rise.

Open the hood and try to hear where the growl is coming from. Does it sound like an electric motor?
Put your ear down and try to follow it. Take a picture of what you think it leads to and show us.
The car may have a secondary electric water pump that went out.

If the temp is rising while in motion I would suspect thermostat is stuck closed or the water pump is done so the rad can't do it's job.

Check in front of your radiator for things blocking it. Sounds odd but you can hit a plastic bag or whatever and totally screw up the efficiency of your radiator.

Check your coolant level, it could be low.

When is the last time you had the waterpump done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great input....I will now answer your questions:
1) Direct from having taken it to the shop, all fluids topped off, it still had this issue.
2) Listening to the sound
a) Unfortunately, I am either on the highway or in traffic when it happens.
b) It rises so quickly in temp that I must shut off the engine (Then I cannot listen uner the hood, nor take a picture).
c) When I restart it, the growling sound does not come back on.
3) I will investigate a secondary electric pump, and see if it exists.
4) I will check for a blockage over the radiator cooling fins.
5) The engine has only 36,000 kilometers (Never had the pump replaced)

- My suspicions are with three things like you guys are pointing towards.
a) Thermostat
b) Sensor
c) Water pump

My main question:
Is it possible a water pump can work intermitantly?
- I'd say around 99.8% of the time my car works great. It is only these mere moments filled with sheer terror.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
the water pump always spins at a ratio with regards to the crank. Typically a water pump's failure is the fins inside the pump. the pump will still spin at the same ratio of the motor, but the impeller of the pump isn't moving water or moving enough water. thermostats are more digital they are either open or closed much like a valve. and sometimes they stick. VW seems to like mounting the thermostat to the water pump. it may be a good idea to replace both. This is one of those things I buy OEM parts for. I hate doing it and I really don't like doing it twice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for explaining how a water pump works....Have taken it into the shop.

When I get it back, I'll share with you guys the reason (Provided they find it this time).

Just so you guys know prices here in Switzerland, I had asked (On the side) how much they would charge to replace the Sensor, Thermostat & Water Pump.....The total would run me 1,200 chf (Parts & Labor).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I've received it back from the shop last night....First off I have to say that compared to the loaner (A small Seat, can't remember model), when I got my Golf back, it was purring perfectly....I really felt like I was in a upper class luxury car.....So I think I'll keep it a while longer:D

So what they said they replaced was the thermostat and a ventil on the water pump. They had noticed that the thermostat would stick only when the engine was coming up to temp (Which matches with my occurances). As for the ventil on the water pump, I don't know why they replaced it and I failed to think to ask why.

Additionally, the insulation mounted just under and onto the hood was being eaten by some animal and some electrical wires also had bite marks, so they replaced all those items too.

Bonus for me was that 90% will be covered by both the dealer and my insurance.....He said I'll receive a bill for approx 200chf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts