VW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The anemic 2,5 liter gas engine get 29/17 MPGs just like the new Corvette a 450 hp 190 mph sports car!!

When I asked the dealer if he would recommend a diesel engine he said no since it's 6-7 k more expensive than the gas. Spend 7,000 dollars more just to "save" on gas? And diesel gas is more expensive than regular gas. What a rotten deal. He only recommends a diesel if I plan on driving it 300,000 miles. A Volkswagen that last that long?? LOL.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
A corvette weighs much less than an mk5. They burn more fuel at idle and when on the throttle will probably go as low as 8 miles to the gallon. Where as a 2.5 will burn much less than half that fuel idling and struggle to get as low as 20 while going balls out.
Also a corvette cost 3 times as much.
Just to give some better perspective of those first numbers.

Depending on where you live diesel is not more than gas, in fact where I live it's cheaper.

Any car will last 300k if you maintain it properly, 2.5 is basically a 2.0 with another cyl casted on it. They are a brick and will go forever.
TDI's go forever too.

You should have invested more time into what MPG a car will get before you bought it, rather then buy and gripe about it later. mk5's are very nice, quiet cars with a great interior for their price. The gas mileage is nice as well. If you get a disel the mpg is spectacular.

Are you getting your mpg numbers off google or are you doing math to see what numbers you are getting yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Horsepower vs. Fuel Efficiency: The Balancing Act - MSN Autos

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=434466

This \/
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/new-cars/default.aspx?src=404
for deciding.

BTW, the "power/weight" labels shown in the articles should probably be "weight/power", so smaller is better.

Here's another
http://www.streetspecs.com/specs/
put in cars similar to yours, post the hp, mpg, weight (and liters displacement if you can find it) and see how yours stacks up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a 2009 Jetta 2.5 with a 5 speed manual.

I've averaged 29.1 mpg over the last 2 years, about 28,000 miles.

Don't let the low city mpg scare you.
I added your car and a few others and used EPA specs from the link above.

VW Golf, '12
VW Golf, '13
VW Jetta, '09
sub imp wagon TS, '04
Nissan frontier, '03
Fiat 500, '12
toy corolla, '12
sub impreza, '12
Nissan sentra, '12
honda civic, '12

It changes things a bit.

Correlation coefficient| comparison
-0.641 |wt to cmpg
-0.622 |hp to cmpg
-0.604 |wt to hmpg
-0.396 |hp to hmpg
-0.336 |hp/wt to cmpg
-0.040 |hp/wt to hmpg
0.704 |cmpg to hmpg

The best predictor, which is not all that good, is city MPG to highway MPG and vice versa.

The hp/wt for highway MPG is the worst and the others say to get good mileage you should reduce weight or hp or both.

For each additional hp you decrease cmpg by 14%.

I guess I should add a Hummer or two and a few Corvettes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.