VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my gas mileage fall with the giac chip in my 1997 vw passat vr6? i am currently makin 23 mpg in the city. the other chips claim better mpg under normal driving conditions. anyone have any experience with this chip and care to share?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
It's pretty much a self control, and common sense thing. A vehicle that is chipped will lose MPG because under harder driving conditions (flooring it all the time) it will provide more fuel which is a part of the increased performance of a chip. If you are chipped, then you obviously looking for more performance, and in turn will most likely drive harder. If you are chipped though, and can muster up some self control, normal driving conditions will relate to the same MPG as stock. I for one have no self control; and the chip, full 3" exhaust, and heavy right foot all relate to a little bit of a lost MPG. Doesn't bother me much though, cause I don't drive much.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the main reason i ask is because i do drive quite a bit, and i like the fuel mileage my car is geting now and i would hate to ruin it for daily driving. i have heard that with the p-chip gave a guy gained an extra 3mpg hwy and i was hoping the giac chip would do the same.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I think that your gas mileage might increase ever so slightly chipped, if, as Josh said, you show some "self-control". Basically since the engine is producing more boost at low rpms it is producing more power without really increasing fuel consumption since the engine doesn't have to try and saturate the mixture to control detonation as it does at higher rpms. Therefore you have more power at a given rpm, and can then use a lower rpm to achieve the same power output to maintain, say, 60mph. Of course it doesn't apply at higher rpms and it all depends on your ability to control that abnormally long right foot we Veedubers all have...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts