VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was messing around with my friends civic and i was at a stop light and felt like smokeing him> so i did and when i went to click into second all i was doing was grinding<<< it wouldnt let me get into second. This has happend before idk why i might be doing something or idk> Then after i did that i couldnt get into first gear it was like locked and wouldnt let me put it in the slot . Has this happend to anyone too. It fucking pisses me off im thinking about takeing it to the dealer and haveing them fixing it.>>>> DOes anyone Know whY its GriNDing???

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Common, Syncro problem. Part is like $.30 but its a few hundred in labor. They should have done a recall... Damn weak syncros

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Common, Syncro problem. Part is like $.30 but its a few hundred in labor. They should have done a recall... Damn weak syncros<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

should i go to the dealer or what do u recomend me doing to fix this damn problem>>>>

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VOLCOMGTI:
should i go to the dealer or what do u recomend me doing to fix this damn problem>>>><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure the dealer won't fix it under warranty. It's basically a problem with the VW synchros. You need some new syncrhos, rings, etc, and whatever gears you may have ground down. You can take it to the dealer, but it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In the mean time, you can double clutch like they did in the old days before the wonderful synchronizers. It should just slide right in.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
In the mean time, you can double clutch like they did in the old days before the wonderful synchronizers. It should just slide right in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That, or power shift...who needs a clutch anyways

·
Registered
524 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
In the mean time, you can double clutch like they did in the old days before the wonderful synchronizers. It should just slide right in.
i thought double clutching was when you raise the rpm before you downshift so the strain on the engine isnt that great? or was i lead to believe something different?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Anytime you shift without synchos you're double-clutching.

Heres an excerpt from howstuffworks.com:
In double-clutching, you first push the clutch pedal in once to disengage the engine from the transmission. This takes the pressure off the dog teeth so you can move the collar into neutral. Then you release the clutch pedal and rev the engine to the "right speed." The right speed is the rpm value at which the engine should be running in the next gear. The idea is to get the next gear and the collar rotating at the same speed so that the dog teeth can engage. Then you push the clutch pedal in again and lock the collar into the new gear. At every gear change you have to press and release the clutch twice, hence the name "double-clutching

·
Registered
133 Posts
Aye, that is correct

Double clutching works for upshifts as well as downshifts...you just have to learn your engine speeds...

You'll know you have it right when the gears shift like buttah, it will just slide right in and you're good to go on to the next one.

It takes a while to get used to it, but it's definitely a good skill to have...just incase something like a synchro goes bad or something

1 - 11 of 11 Posts