VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might sound like a dumb question, but why is the reverse gear on VW and other German cars up & left as opposed to down & right like on American and Japanese cars?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Starks:
Might sound like a dumb question, but why is the reverse gear on VW and other German cars up & left as opposed to down & right like on American and Japanese cars?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simply push the shift knob in and throw'er like you would into first.

To answer your question with another question:

"Why does Japan have steering wheel on the right hand side?"

Have a good one ...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
im gonna say its for safety reasons...instead of trying to find six (even though you dont have it
) and moving it into reverse gear they just have it where its harder to screw up... this might not make any sense but im tired and its all i counld get out -- sorry for the grammer and spelling...maybe

·
Registered
119 Posts
Makes sense. Here's another question though; where do cars with SIX gears that don't have the push-first thing have their reverse?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Still the same as the 5-speed (at least on the New Honda Accord Coupe 6 Speed)

Honda Accord Coupe 6-Speed Gear Pattern
(Sorry about the quality but I had to zoom in and sharpen the pic to make the pattern visible)

Here is another pattern that is not push in.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
yeah i think that looks about right but ussually even when it is a 6 speed the revers gear is either "push down" or "pull on a little tab right under the shift knob" again so if you try to go into sixth (witch is were R is normally) you wont try to squeeze it into R... just another thought from me

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Starks:
Might sound like a dumb question<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

btw.... not a dumb question... its an interesting topic that we are all guessing on... i wish we had a automotive engineers prospective

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys 4 the responses.

On American & Japanese cars with 6-speed trannies, I was just guessing that for R you'd just push down on the knob and go down & right like you were going for 6th gear like we go up & left (while VWs go up & left where 1st is).

Guess I stand corrected. I always loved how reverse is on Dubs and other German cars. I just wanted to know why it was done this way.
Maybe this wasn't such a dumb topic after all!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It took me a little while to get used to. In my 240SX, I always rested my hand on the gear shift while at a light. When I got the GTI, I dont know how many times I almost backed into someone when the light turned green before I cured my habit. Its quirky, and Im sure it probably has to do with something about how they put together the origianal Type1, but the VW guys just chose to stick with it rather than change stuff around when they went front mount.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
TF..Japanese cars have the steering wheel on the right hand side because, like lots of european countries, they drive on the left side of the street.(Im pretty sure-if I remember correctly-I was in japan for 5 weeks in 96).

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Your right brian. I was there 4 years ago. Although there were a couple of left side cars there.
jon

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah I thought so. some nice cars over there. different names of cars though=like bluebird instead of maxima or stanza.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
HA HA HA.. of course... I was just being sarcastic.

I was in GB about 3 times now.

I just tried to show him that there are no dumb questions around here.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
another design for a 6-speed is:
1 3 5
| | |
-------
| | | |
2 4 6 R

that wouldnt be a push down or anything, just another slot. i have seen this before, but i forget where! kindof wierd if you ask me.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: TimmayGTi ]

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: TimmayGTi ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
If you look above Timmy you will see that pattern on the shifter of the 2004 Honda Accord Coupe. So you are right about that pattern bang on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i would think a 6 speed like the accords wouldn't let you select reverse unless it was from neutral...that's the way it is on my dad's volvo (that's right, 5 speed volvo!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts