VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I was wondering if you people could help me with my problem I only encounted yesterday. When I was driving into local Lincoln Town centre the car was fine, however on return I got the car as usual into third then fourth gear. As soon as I came to slow down, and turn a corner, and change gear, the car was stuck in 3rd gear, and would not let me goto second as required. I pulled over as much I could to stop blocking traffic and placed hazards on, while trying to sort it. I tried different gears no luck, tried double clutching and finally somehow got it released. I then got moving again, and low and behold it did it again.
I scraped home ok, and when stopped, just played with gears and they seemed fine. I then went to the shops to see if car was going to do it again, and it was fine for that short trip.
It has never happened before, and has only been purchased from a dealer, who gave it a full service just days before I purchased it. Any idea's on this? All oils and that are fine, the clutch seems fine as that was replaced in service, so puzzled me to what can cause that. Any help be great!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If the car is getting stuck in gear, and won't disengage, I wuld think this is a transmission problem as you don't really need a clutch to get in or out of gear.

There are some good tranny people who will probably chime in to help out in a bit more detail.

It would be helpful to know the model, transmission, and engine of the car however.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
You've overthrown 3rd gear. It is an internal tranny issue. There is no way to fix it short of taking the tranny completely apart, or replacing the tranny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi There,
Thanks for the reply. The car today drove ok. Does the fault mean its completely knackered and need replacing or will it be ok as it is?
How do you over throw a gear? Sorry for silly questions, but new to cars etc..
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the email. I certainly hope to become a regular round here.

The car itself is a VW GOLF MK3 1995 M Reg 1.4CL 3 Door. The car like I say has just had a service before my purchase from a main dealer. The transmission is a 5 speed manual.

Therefore was puzzled why this happened. Any tranny people are welcome, and certainly hope to speak to you all soon from Matt

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The really basic explainaion. There are three little clips inside the tranny, light spring tension is all that holds these in place, and all that stops your gearstick when going into 3rd. When you push 3rd past its stopping point the clips fall out and some internal parts all out of allignment.

Sometimes people have been known to pull the gearstick back hard enough to move the main parts back into place, but the clips are still lost inside the tranny and the car doesn't shift into or out of 3rd without trouble after that.

My question becomes, with the 1.4L, what tranny did your car get? Here in the states most 4cyls came with the 020, which is the trans that had the 3rd gear overthrow problem. With the 1.4 you may have gotten a different trans and this may not be your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts