VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening guys,

just a quick question (or two) really: i know that in the uk, at least, if you make mods you need to tell the insurance people what you've done so they can gun you down for more money, but... do you have to tell them if you've added an authentic vw mod?

i have a gti but no rear wing. if i add a rear vw oem wing, bought from my dealer, do i need to telll the insurance people? admittedly i have modified my car, but it's no different than that which i could have purchased from the dealership. the insurance people don't ask what extra's i had put on when i got the motor.

has anyone else come across this quirk?

secondly, over here there's only one type of vw rear wing, the one with the little notch about halfway along. does anyone know why this cut out is there, and what's the difference between the 337 wing and the freedom wing?

thanks in advance

G

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
1) i know for my insurance company, if you have aftermarket add-on parts, you can get extra coverage to cover them or you can just not have those parts covered. Also some companies here have a policy up to a certain amount of if it's bolted down (or perm. fixed to the car), they will cover it, if it's not, then they won't cover it. I had this happen when someone stole my amp and sub. they would cover the amp since it was screwed down, but not my sub because it wasn't. I would think since it's a VW OEM part you won't have a problem.
2) Most likley the reason for this is so you can keep your OEM antenna. With the freedom wing (which i have) the antenna will rub the wing when you open the hatch. HTH
jon

·
Registered
45 Posts
Some more info on yor insurance Q.
Just like GTI2001 said some ins. cos. already hhave a set value for yor car, if it were to get in a wreck,(knock on wood)and the estimated damage is say 12000 and yor car is worth 11500 and you have like a kit and a paint job that you spent 3000 on 4 months ago but didnt tell yor insurance, they will probably say O.K. so you didnt include this in your coverage.
Any ways long answer short, it just depends on how much MORE a month you will wanna pay, depending on the mod will determin you premium. Every thing you do to your car will increase the value only to you until you tell yor insurance carrier. Also depends on yor carrier...hope this helped.
(used to manage a body shop SDCS)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
that always scares me. like when you putin cash into your car, then you think if you crash your car (knock on wood) then you dont get all that money back. and that would suck. but i dont knwo how most insurance companies work. sorry

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I am going to call my insurance carrier tomorrow. Do I have to specify the amount I paid for the mods, or how much the acutal mods cost? (example: thermal cat back exhaust= about $600 new, I paid $250 used) what do I tell my insurance company?? thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts