VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 99.5 Golf 2.slow. The yellow check engine light is on. I went to Auto something today to get the codes read. He plugged it in and it came back "error" it couldn't communicate with the car. He went and got a fancier one, plugged it in and same thing. I don't want to be throwing money at it in hopes that the light goes off. Is there another way to get this done? Please and thank you. :bow:

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket head unit installed? If so disconnect it. Sometimes aftermarket head units will cause an error with the ecu. Has something to do with the "k" wire.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'll bet good money there's an aftermarket deck installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an aftermarket deck....not my idea. I've been looking into buying the stock stereo again. The car came with NO stereo and my friend installed an aftermarket he had. So where can I go from here?? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went back and just disconnected power to the deck and it worked. Know it is figuring out the codes. The first machine read P011 and P01128. They guy had a VAGCOM and it came back 17536 I think he meant 17537 cause I have seen websites showing 17537 and P01128. The VAGCOM also came back with 16795, haven't looked into that one yet. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[email protected] cel

That the new post title. Ok I am having some difficulty putting together 17536 or 7 and 16795. Did I mention that the airbag light is on as well. It was on when I got the car. My friend put a new streering wheel on and we kept the same airback for the driver side. And the airbags have never deployed. He said that the airbag wasn't hooked up...? I really need this light to go off and stay off. I have emissions testing next week and obviously will not pass with the light on. And the autozone guy mentioned something about the fuel being to lean. Does this mean a new O2 sensor?? Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
16795 - this relates to the secondary air injection system used at startup when the engine is cold. Mostly emissions related. Check all the plastic hoses from the sec. air pump to the air filter box are connected and not broken first.
The lean condition codes don't necessarily mean the O2 sensors are bad - quite often the codes are a symptom of some other problem usually a vacuum hose leak. Could also be a MAF sensor, O2 Sensor, fuel filter clogged up. Does your car idle rough or anything? Check around the engine bay for cracked or torn vacuum or breather hoses. Listen for hissing noises from hoses too.

As far as the airbag ask your friend why he didn't connect it. Better still if he doesn't know wtf he is doing then find a mechanic before you both get a faceful of airbag going off by mistake.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I found the hose that was not connected I am in my garage writing this and doing a battery rest hoping the light will go away. As fas the the airbag light and the new steering wheel, when he put the new steering wheel on the airbag was not hooked up. He did hook it up, but the light was on before we did that. I am still looking into the lean fuel system problem, Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Thanks. I found the hose that was not connected I am in my garage writing this and doing a battery rest hoping the light will go away. As fas the the airbag light and the new steering wheel, when he put the new steering wheel on the airbag was not hooked up. He did hook it up, but the light was on before we did that. I am still looking into the lean fuel system problem, Thanks for all the help.
You will need vag com to erase the airbag code.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts