VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help or give me someone yo email before my car burns to the ground. The fan control on the dash is getting way to hot. Any ideas what it may be. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the actual switch on the dashboard is getting hot, then maybe you have a short in the wiring behind it. Usually you'll have to remove that section of the dashboard (usually by gently prying it loose with a screwdriver) and test the wires in the fan switch unit carefully with a voltmeter. Or you can do it less gracefully and turn on your car and see which of the bad boys gets hot. Once you find it, you'll probably have to replace the wires, or more likely the whole switch unit. If you need to replace the unit, talk to a local VW dealer and I'm pretty sure they could hook you up for a price. If you do replace anything electrical, make sure you unhook your battery (and get the security codes for your radio, I found that out the hard way).

And if it isn't a shorted wire or faulty switch unit, I have no clue.

Hope that helps dawg

·
Registered
180 Posts
the switches come a a package and from the dealer, you can't buy any parts for the switches, you need to buy the whole unit... the unit costs anywhere from $75 to $100...

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it is actually the dial that controlls the ammount of air the fan blows (the most left dial) then it is probably the contacts right behind it. If you give the dial a good tug then you will be able to see the contacts. If they are touching eachother then you should separate them because they are freeflowing electricity through them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts