VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all first time poster and i have a question for you. My Acura Integra GSR 98' got stolen and raped (here for pics )[url]http://www.ineptitude.net/gallery/GTA)[/url] and I was thinking about coming over to VW. Personally I would have stayed with Acura/Honda because they are fun and reliable cars but they are way to popular with the theives.

So i would like either the GLI or GTI VR6 but not sure which one i would like to get. I'm looking for a quick and great handling car and i'm not sure which one to get. I probably will keep it stock or at least for awhile so my decision is based on stock performance. I really like the GLI but not used to a 4 door and i was wondering if it felt big compared to the GTI? What are some of the pluses and minuses that you guys can note so i can make an informed decision. I was also concerned about the avaliability of the GLI. So i was hoping you 02' owners or informed people could lay down some ideas/suggestions for me. Thanks Guys

ps - any theft issues??? since i'm paranoid now.

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: sleepyhead ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
This sucks!!

Well an advantage to having a 4-door is your insurance will be lower. The new 24v VR6 is real nice. Haven't driven one but from what i heard, you have good power through out the RPM's. Plenty of torque at the low end too. I haven't heard any real horror stories about new VW's getting stolen, Their electronic systems is real confusing (so good luck hot-wiring it) and they have laser cut keys. Other people might know more on how often/easy it is to steal VW's.
jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as dimensions go, both the Golf and the GTI have identical exterior dimensions.

I think the 4dr Golf weighs 100lbs more, as well as having an inch or two more headspace in the front and rear.

I read somewhere that the GTI has a stiffer suspension, but coming from an Integra, your mileage may vary.

I don't think they ever made a V6 Golf, so the GTI VR6 should perform significantly better than the Golf GL.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Darthchung, GLI is the new top o the line Jetta, with the 201 horse vr6 and six speed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ummmmmm, GLI , mmmmmmmmm
sweeet!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Darthchung, GLI is the new top o the line Jetta, with the 201 horse vr6 and six speed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then, that would certainly make most of my post pointless then, wouldn't it? \sheepish grin.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well guys i bought the GTI VR6 with all the goodies. I should have it on friday and will be posting some pics.

so is a intake a nice easy mod since i know i will never be happy with a standard VR6. Unless you guys have other suggestions on low cost easy install for a upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Sleepyhead,

I'm so sorry to hear about your ride. I feel for ya' brother. My 92' GTI was internally raped 4 years ago. They stole all my stereo stuff, ripped the dash busted the door all up...sad very very sad. You will be very happy with the VR6 I love my GTI. They are fun, sportly, luxurious and fast. Can't wait to see those pics!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have fun with your GTI!

About the anti-theft, maybe this wouldn't work on the GTI due to confusing wires or something, but on all of my cars I cut the starter wire, then put a switch in it and hid the switch, so you have to find the switch to start it. Not the most technologically advanced, but so far the system is 1 for 1 for me, so it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Oops, wrong bracket.....how bout this

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
'86 Jetta D/'98 NuBTDI/''87 Renault GTA coupe/'87 Renault GTA cabrio/'94 Corrado VR6/'02 Civic
Now I know my eyes can't be reading this right......sad......so sad.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:
Oops, wrong bracket.....how bout this

'86 Jetta D/'98 NuBTDI/''87 Renault GTA coupe/'87 Renault GTA cabrio/'94 Corrado VR6/'02 Civic<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Now I know my eyes can't be reading this right......sad......so sad.....
Har har

·
Registered
844 Posts
Man, didn't see that one coming. But I just had to give *someone* a hard time, it's not been a the best of days, and if you read my "broken glass" post you'll see why. No hard feelings.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thats ok Darth, when you live that fast, its often hard to keep up with the news.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts