VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I'm doing some research for a cousin...he has a 1995 Golf and just ordered some Golf 4 headlights and needs detailed information on completing the conversion...all instructions that came with the lights are in German.

Does he have to also order the Golf 4 Wiring Harness, or can he do a conversion? Aparently the harness is completely different from the Golf 3.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
i' mnot sure if u do or not...you might have to rewire...but you can see from one of the guys that have an mk3...it's hard fer me to really tel lyou..

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
you are correct in that the mk4 is totally different than the mk3 headlight. I know they have mk4 look-a-like headlights for the mk3. I never heard of doing this conversion (of putting mk4 lights on an mk4. I would imagine you would have to have the whole wiring harness. you would also have to have the mk4 grill, and front quarter panels, and probably hood. that is unless your cousin plans on doing some serious body work to the mk3. the mk3 are more of a square, compared to the more rounded mk4 headlight. please reply with more info. I would love to see this on his car once he is done. if it is on a website (the directions) check out this website:

google translator
I think this will translate the whole page for you. hope this helps, and good luck with the conversion. post the pics (or the whole process when its done please)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand, they are authentic MK4 lights, not just modified MK3 lights. I don't know much as yet, just what he has told me. I haven't even seen the lights yet.

If you guys know where I can see a finished conversion, or get wiring diagrams for both systems, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
will the 'lookalike' mkIV style headlights fit in the mkIII without doing the rewiring and stuff?can you just pop 'em in???peace.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
They will hook right up unless you want the fog lights and the separate high and low beams.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i still would like my fog lights and the seperate high low beams. how do i go about doing this and does it cost alot/take alot of time???peace.

·
Registered
161 Posts
thanks much.peace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have any ideas for me here?
Does anyone know where I can get a complete lighting harness with switches, etc from a MK4?

I think that would be the easiest way to do it. I haven't looked at the car and the lights, so I don't know how much custom work, if any, has to be done to get them to fit.

Isn't there anyone on this board who has done this, or even seen it done?

Are there other forums out there that deal with modifications? This is my first crack at a VW, I'm a Honda guy helping out a VW guy

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Why would you bother going through the hard work of using actual mk4 headlights so you have to hardwire them and get different harnesses? Just buy the mk4 lookalikes for the mk3, it takes like 30-45 min to put them in. No point in doin the extra work for no reason, unless you want to deal with electrical problems (which all mk3's are famous for anyways)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok...just found out that the lights are actually Hella Conversion lights...not authentic MK4's. Where can I get the installation kit, since he didn't get the kit with the lights, and the guy he bought the lights from doesn't stock the install kit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IF they are real mk4's you need the hood, fenders, and grille also from a 1999 cabrio because they are built on the same chassis the front ends are just a bit different. i've seen several pictures of these swaps on vortex you just can say pimp

·
Registered
76 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VR6PWR:
will the 'lookalike' mkIV style headlights fit in the mkIII without doing the rewiring and stuff?can you just pop 'em in???peace.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

since your probably not running the euro rad support then your gonna have to cut up the NA rad support for the mk4 looks to fit

Potters, aka parts4vws.com sell the mk4 looks with the wiring harnesses and brackets you need to make it work, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BRACKETS of youll have to fab them yourself

thats what you need to cut off the rad support

1 - 15 of 15 Posts