VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just a qiuck little history question. Where did the Golf gets it's name from? I remember reading somewhere that it got it when it was put up as a prize at some Golf tournament.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Its named after a wind stream or ocean current. VW has many cars named after winds and golbal things.

[ December 27, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Phaeton was a person in Roman/Greek mythology, something to do with a fling caridge (sp), can't remember exactly, but I'll look it up if anyone wants to know.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Golf, Jetta, Passat, Scirocco and Bora are named after winds.

Rabbit came from the MK1 being introduced to the US in 1975, the year of the Rabbit.

[ December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Fourt1thirty ]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember reading somewhere that it got it's name from some tournament.

I lived in Turkey for a while and there I had bought a Polo. The guy at the dealership had said that VW decided to name it's hatchback models after sports. I'm not sure what sport Lupo is. Not to contradict you're statements but I'm just telling you what I was told.

Do you think there's any reasoning behind that.

Oh one more thing...What's up with the VW THING, did they just name it THING because they didn't know what to call it?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White Rabbit:

I lived in Turkey for a while and there I had bought a Polo. The guy at the dealership had said that VW decided to name it's hatchback models after sports. I'm not sure what sport Lupo is. Not to contradict you're statements but I'm just telling you what I was told.

Oh one more thing...What's up with the VW THING, did they just name it THING because they didn't know what to call it?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lupo comes from the italian word for wolf... as in wolfsberg

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White Rabbit:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say that dealer told u a bunch of BS. What would u have called the thing? IMO perfect name for it, because it is a...Thing

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
I say that dealer told u a bunch of BS. What would u have called the thing? IMO perfect name for it, because it is a...Thing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah!! Everyone knows golf isn't a sport!!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
Yeah!! Everyone knows golf isn't a sport!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But Bowling is?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by das boot:

But Bowling is?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bowling, much like golf, is a hobby, not a sport.

[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Fourt1thirty ]

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
this is a very interesting topic. great facts though. so that is why my car is called a Golf. i remember seeing this topic once, but what does GTI mean?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimmayGTi:
this is a very interesting topic. great facts though. so that is why my car is called a Golf. i remember seeing this topic once, but what does GTI mean?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gran Turismo Iniezione, italian for Grand Touring Injected. When they built the first ones in 1976 standard MK1s weren't injected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts