VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
It doesn't seem like the author felt that the R32 is that fast

"Does it feel fast? Quick and fun absolutely... fast, well.... The R32 tips the scales at a heavy 3,256 lb. which conspires to intrude on any light and nimble feeling one might have in a regular GTI. It is still an aggressive car in so many other ways, with a wonderful engine, wonderful sounds and great handling up to a point that you are willing to forget about the weight."

thats a bit disappointing. I guess the added weight (extra 200lbs. compared to the VR6) as well as the awd may make a big HP drain (just guessing).

I'm also not sure what the benefit of awd on that car. AWD to me seems benefical in poor weather conditions but 225/40ZR-18 Dunlop tires does not seem to be great foul weather tires. Well maybe they will be ok in the rain but they don't seem to be useful in the snow. I don't know... it just seems like it could be a waste. Though when i went looking at the Jetta and the GTI's i was hoping that they offered an awd model because it was something i really wanted.

Now that price...omg its expensive. The R32 is a beautiful car and I must say i really love all the sweet things it has but wow that price. I could not see the R32 becoming a big seller in the US, actually anywhere. Well, it is the R edition so I guess it would be sold in limited quanties and there is always some that would buy it. Personally if I had that type of money to spend on a car I'm not sure that I would spend it on a Golf/GTI, especially if the performance was not a step above the GTI currently sold in the US.

Let me know what you think... I'm new to the world of VW so be nice

·
Registered
158 Posts
EXACTLY MY POINT--its too heavy to be that much faster--- from the times i've seen it is only a second faster than stock GTI1.8t--
if they really wanted to impress me, rather than go VR6, they should have put in the 1.8t w/ a K04 turbo!!! then w/ the right chip it would be pushing somewhere around 300 rather than 245.
Now as far as the body kit and wheels, looks sick-- just not my choice of engine platform. bring on the SPOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I bought my GTI in late December 2001. I'm 100% happy with it. The VR6 engine is tuff as shit, the sound and style I love.

Then the 337 hits, at first I was like OMG dope as shit. And to the date I still think it's a great ride.

Then the R32 comes into play. The engine is impressive; is it heavy? Yeah lil' bit. But the biggest thing on this one even over performance is "style and design". And this ride nails it. It perfect is so many ways. From the gripping black leather R32 stitched seats to the low body kit, or maybe the dual exhaust. What I'm trying to say is she is a killer stylin' beaut.

This car just bumped on the top of my list. I all ready have fill out the poll to request mine

P.S. As for the price. I still go by "You get what you pay for."

P.S.S. Some of you will say well I can buy an 03" 1.8T cheaper. Then get a couple hop-ups and get more ponies out of her than that ride. Yes you are correct, again this ride is all STYLE & DESIGN.

·
Registered
158 Posts
don't get me wrong, I LOVE the style and design of the R32, but would just be more happier w/ a more mod friendly engine if i was buying it. Don't mean to sound anti-VR6, but i just love my turbo and know there could be MORE power and LESS weight if they went that direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts