VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! The 01M transmission in my 02' golf TDI is busted for the second time. At first around 110,000 miles the transmission started slipping (revs building but no acceleration while moving) when driving on hot days. Then eventually the car started to jump forward every time I accelerated from a standstill (building revs and then suddenly moving forward). Using VAG COM software I was receiving no fault codes. Soon the slipping and jumping became very severe. Then the car would not move forward at all, the engine would just rev. The car still went into P N and R normally. I had it fixed at a shop. The car was working fine after that. Then at 140,000 miles the same slipping and jumping came back. Now the car is immobile just as before I had it repaired. I would like to fix it myself this time but I do not know what exactly to fix. My father is an aircraft mechanic so we have all the tools we could need but would any of you know what could be causing my problem?

Thank you

·
Registered
322 Posts
The problem is that its an O1M. Do a 5-speed swap. Its well worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Sounds like the clutch packs have gone.

Little composite paper and aluminum discs in the transmission have completely failed, these are the parts that transmit friction in the gearbox itself.
If you were serious about an automatic transmission, you could change these or upgrade them to a stronger clutch pack with lots of searching for the parts to do so.
But at the end of the day if you really want longevity and practicality out of this vehicle you'd be better off getting a manual transmission and swapping it.
OR find a Porsche platform transmission and machine/fabricate to make it fit.
But you'll need to pay careful attention to the gearing of said transmissions.

You'll also gain mpg, lose weight, and get rid of 1 second long shifts with a manual transmission.
Make sure you swap with another tdi if you go manual. Gearing is important.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to check for codes with vag com again today and 2 codes came up! Here is what it said

2 Faults Found:

00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

01192 - Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent

I want to keep the car an automatic for now. Would I have to remove the transmission from the car to do these repairs?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Yep gotta drop the transmission

I had just re-read the first post. It actually might be the torque converter. They're made to lock up to the transmission at a certain rpm.
Could replace the torque converter and "flywheel" and see if that works.
Inspect it see what going on with that.

Check your transmission for leaks.
When you pull the torque converter off it should be full of transmission fluid.
Otherwise improper fluid level could be to blame.

Gear monitoring is the car is having difficulty figuring out what your gearing is and if it's improper because the transmission is in gear, motor is moving and the car isn't traveling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts