VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this article years ago in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine (best car mag evar!) and recently saw a link to it on another forum. Some of you may want to read this before you go out and spend $1000+ on big brake upgrades I thought. I have a few good friends that taught me this stuff that are pretty smart when it comes to braking/suspension tuning stuff on VW's, this article basically explains what they taught me about braking upgrades and explains it a lot better than I could explain it myself.

Don't expect shorter stopping distances with your big brake upgrades, but do expect to see less brake fade if you ever expect to see yourself in a road racing type track event.

Pulp Friction <-----Click Here

[ January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
thanks for the link. i was also reading someting in Euro Car mag this past week about replacing the brakes and actually did a test with a 1.8t bug with the R32 brakes on and the distance wasn't much shorter but the temps where alot cooler after hard braking with the R32 ones on.
jon

G

·
0 Posts
thats cool then...i was thinking on the GTI doing a porsche carrea brake setup,all the way around...but it's gonna be hard...hope it works...

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Articles like that expain why GRM is the only magazine I subscribe to.

My buddy always gives me crap about the brakes on my Rabbit. He says I go overboard on braking, but I don't think there's any such thing so long as you do it correctly, and for the right reasons. Keeping the heat out of the braking system to eliminate fade would be the reason.

RPI sells 13" brake kits for Rabbits now, which is pointless. Fade wouldn't be a problem... getting them to heat up enough to work properly would.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I bought European Car this month just for that article Jon was talking about. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I did see that thing about the R32 brakes, and I was VERY surprised that the results weren't better.

I have mintex pads (which I have now heard don't improve braking, just lessen brake dust)
and slotted front rotors in my garage waiting to be put on, can't wait to see if I can feel a difference. I'm starting to think I won't...

[ January 05, 2004: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts