VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had two problems one said that my speed thingy (very technical i know.. i cant remember the word :p) anywho.. the thing that determines my speed is malfunctioning... now i know that i could try to use this as an excuse
"any particular reason you were goin 135 in a 25 zone??"

but im not seein that as working lol.. anyways have any of you had this problem?? if so what happened and what did you have to get fixed.. thanks

Cody

·
Registered
423 Posts
Speed of the car or speed of the engine??

Both sensors should be a "Hall Effect" type of sensor. I know on most Ford Cop cars if they go over 130mph the Check engine light comes on and it means the vehicle has reached top speed. See it all the time at the dealer. But never really heard of that on a VW. The sensor that tripped the code was probably the Crankshaft sensor. Or the Exciter ring on the crank pulley has a hair line crack on it and the sensor can't read the correct voltage??

Hope this helps. Wish I was working on VW instead of Fords

·
Registered
5 Posts
My check engine light came on yesterday. Around the same time, my speedometer went on the fritz. When I got in my car this morning, I had no problem with the speedometer, but the check engine light is still on. I tried to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for 10 minutes but that did not clear the light. My car has 76500 miles on it so it may be the O2 sensor, but I have not taken it to pay the $75 to have the diagnostic done on it. I guess what I am asking is does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know any other way to read the codes?

·
Registered
175 Posts
check your battery first, then get it diagnosed. the cells in my battery went bad and the electrical system went crazy. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! I rented a code reader and it turned out to be the speed sensor. I have found a speed sensor online at autozone, but there are two listed and I am not sure which one I need for my VW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have an AutoZone (auto parts store) nearby they have a free diagnostics reader and can reset the code. I had it done and it solved a spark plug problem on mine and they turned off the light to boot. Now figure this I have 128k on mine and no light or code for the o2 sensors. What's up with that???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts