VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about due for an oil change and its starting to get warm out. I nothing but Mobil 1. Was wondering if I should go to weight 20W50?? My own personal opinion on 10W30 is to thin for hot summer driving. I know Ford went to 5W20 on all there vehicles in Model year 2003. They did that just for fuel economy. Any input would be great.

I use either 5W30 or 0W30 in the winter.
I have a 2.0L also. Need to try to keep it somewhat cool. Also should i put some Lucas oil additive in the engine????

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
yeah i use Casrol Synthetic blend 20w50. i was burning oil and when i put the thicker weight in, it slowed down. i also use VW OEM filters. expensive, but they work great and last like 30,000 kilometers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Of course, Mobil 1 provides a higher level of protection if your oil reaches extremes (heat, shear, extended drain, etc.)

As for grade, use what your owner's manual recommends, and don't base it on other manufacturers or other people.

Oil additives are a waste of money. On schedule, or more frequent oil changes are a better way to spend your cash.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I only use castrol syntec 10w 40 when it still cold out.And 20w50 in the summer months.You also want to use a good oil filter such as k+n or vw oem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts