1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P0351
P0353
P0354

Getting these 3 codes.. dealer said that I needed to replace the ground wiring on the ignition to clean it up after I told them I put in a new 'coil box' (the MK4 2.0 coils)..

They want $230.00 to repair this.

Is there a way for me to realistically do it myself with little to no car knowledge or is that something I need to leave to the pros?

Then I guess I am just left with replacing the cat soon.. P0420 code.. and the CV boot is leaking grease, so I need to replace that soon too.. probably the fall since the leak is pin-sized and car wont get driven between july 6 and mid october..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dang bro...your having a lot of problems with your car.
If you let VW or a mechanic shop change your cat it's going to be really high, get a highflow cat and let a muffler shop install it, you will pay the for lobor only

And for the CV boot ...it tore and it's slinging the grease out, if your short on cash, you can cut the old boot, clamps out, and install a split boot ( it comes with grease) it can be installed without taking the axle out. I've installed them before and it's something you could do yourself, there about 20 bucks

Is the PO420 code the cat or o2 sensor?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang bro...your having a lot of problems with your car.
$5,000 car.. $3,000 repairs. and counting. and the car dealer says all the work ive done (tuneup, replaced brake rotors that were destroyed, thermostat/coolant temp sensor) is all stuff that is my choice, and didnt have to get done, so they refuse to pay for any of it

Is the PO420 code the cat or o2 sensor?
code is 'catalyst below efficency threshold', don't know exactly what that is
SELL YOUR LEMON. YOU SIR GOT A BAD DUB.....cut your losses and move to another one that has been taken care of better....
im knee deep in shit already.. i will never get the money i spent on the car back.. i wont even get 5 for it with the CEL on and the brake worn light on (which are 'fine' according to my mechanic, so i take his word for it and say sensors just shot).. so i may as well fix the friggin thing now. ive already lost my shirt over it

·
Registered
349 Posts
I didn't want to say it....he'se trieng so hard to keep it running. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and walk away. Problem is....it has to be in good shape to get a good price for it, and if you fix everything, then you will want to keep it
SELL IT and start fresh with something else

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't want to say it....he'se trieng so hard to keep it running. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and walk away. Problem is....it has to be in good shape to get a good price for it, and if you fix everything, then you will want to keep it
SELL IT and start fresh with something else
Why bother? I have spent 8k on this.. 10k with insurance.. no way i will get my money back, not even close.. so i may as well fix it, because im only gonna get stuck in the same boat

·
Registered
349 Posts
I understand...and i feel for you everytime you post a new problem. And i respect the shit out of you for forging ahead.......if your dead set on keeping this car, because of what you have in it, then continue fixing things as they crop up, and we'll advise you on the cheapest way to go about it

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not that i am dead set on keeping it. It's just, I have spent so much fixing it and buying the damn car.. I have no money left.. it was all of my savings.. im basically putting every paycheck i get into savings now so i can fix this and that..

If i sell it, i might get half what i spent on it, and then im out the money. well i'm out the money anyway, but at least now its justified because i have the car.

just wish the dealer would man up and admit they sold me a piece of shit, but they say its all stuff that didnt need fixing

well, take it and clear the codes and see if they come back,
Cleared it a good 5 times now.. they always come back. I dont care about the cat too much, i passed inspection for 2 years in february.. so that can wait.. its just the ignition.. i cant imagine its smart to let that go

·
Registered
349 Posts
I understand exactly were your coming from.......first off, what you have put into your car....you will not get back, thats a given, not just for you but everyone with any car, The CV boot is not a high dollar fix and the cat can wait.........i'm not sure where the ignition ground is......but i'm sure someone here will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This is what your axle looks like
Constant Velocity Axle Assembly by Fenco - Part CV3858 - Advance Auto Parts
the rubber boot on each end houses a knuckle with grease the knucke is made to flex with the frint wheels suspension movement while it's spinning

when the rubber boot tears ( usually the outer one near the wheel) it slings the grease out, because it's spinning. You can take the boot off and install another one
CV Joint Boot by Dorman - Part 614-632 - Advance Auto Parts
and thats fixed for 20 bucks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems simple..

I had two non-dealer mechanics look, they both said leak is size of a pin head just about, so I dont have to rush to take care of it.. more worried about the ignition circuit.. the cat can kiss my ass.. i am not concerned about that for now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
you have an inner and outer on the right an left ( 4 total) it's easy to look under your car and see which one it is........you will visibly see grease everywere in the area of the leak

The link you posted is the inner boot and it's a one piece..meaning you will have to take the axle out to get it on...the boot i posted is a 2 piece you can install it with out taking the axle out

It doesn't malke sense to me to go through the trouble of pulling your axle out just to change the boot,
also it's rare for an inner boot to tear it's usually always the outer boot that tears first

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you have an inner and outer on the right an left ( 4 total) it's easy to look under your car and see which one it is........you will visibly see grease everywere in the area of the leak

The link you posted is the inner boot and it's a one piece..meaning you will have to take the axle out to get it on...the boot i posted is a 2 piece you can install it with out taking the axle out

It doesn't malke sense to me to go through the trouble of pulling your axle out just to change the boot,
also it's rare for an inner boot to tear it's usually always the outer boot that tears first
Its barely torn, they said the leak was so little the time before they had it on the lift they did not even notice it, so I would think its a minimal tear.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3344208

Is that the guide i need

·
Registered
349 Posts
Barley torn ? that tear will eventually rip open and sling all the grease out, dirt and what ever gets lodged in there, wear out the knuckel, and it will eventually break. Guess what happens when your doing 70 on the interstate and your axle breaks? First it will sound like your engine fell the fuck out, then your car will instantly dart to the side of the road.
Your lucky, you caught the problem early..... I know you have heard a front wheel drive car making a clicking sound when it's turning.....thats a torn boot with no grease just begging to break.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Barley torn ? that tear will eventually rip open and sling all the grease out, dirt and what ever gets lodged in there, wear out the knuckel, and it will eventually break. Guess what happens when your doing 70 on the interstate and your axle breaks? First it will sound like your engine fell the fuck out, then your car will instantly dart to the side of the road.
Your lucky, you caught the problem early..... I know you have heard a front wheel drive car making a clicking sound when it's turning.....thats a torn boot with no grease just begging to break.
I was told when it starts to make noise on a slow turn that's about when it has to get fixed..right away.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I would just sell it. Get what you can for it, and use the money you were going to fix it with towards a new car that doesnt have problems. A car is like a woman, you spend a bunch a money and never get it back. In this case your dub is a gold digger, get rid of that bitch before she brakes you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts