VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what cars the 1.8t GTI can beat, stock. Some competitors like RSX type S, Integra Type R, Eclipse, etc. if anyone knows, it would help me out, thanks

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well it depends on what 1.8t your talking about. is it the 99.5-01 1.8t which had 150hp or the 02-current 1.8t with 180hp? I'll go with the current engine for this.
Here are the 1.8t's main competitors.
1) Honda Civic Si
2) Hyundai Tiburon v6
3) Toyota Celica GTS
4) Mitsu. Eclispe v6
5) Acura RSX-S
6) Ford Focus SVC
7) Mercury Couger v6
Over all the 1.8t should be able to beat all of these except the RSX-S in my opinion but that could be a drivers race too. This is stock to stock cars.

I think i have played around with all of these and the only close one was the RSX-S but still beat him. But i had my GTI chipped with some other goodies and i could tell he had some stuff done to his car also. My second close one and the only one i lost to was with a celica but he had that thing so TRD'ed out that i think he bought every piece available from them. The only reason he won was because i was completely stock and he had a shit load of stuff done to his. and lets see.. 150hp Stock to 200 and something modified and still on his tail....

But when modified, i think the 1.8t will out power all of these for the price.
jon

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Bora2021 ]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i was talking about the new egines w/ 180 hp...i have an 03' stock....i raced a Ford Contour SVT, and destroyed that adn also a 98 Civic SI w/ header, and intake and beat him pretty bad...but haven't raced anything else

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
i've raced and beaten cars 1-4!

the rsx-s i've never raced and will not race it until i get chipped or get a bcs. my friend with a 1.8ts and cai raced a rsx-s trip and it was a close race. the rsx-s won by only 1/4 of a car so it's a total drivers race. all the other cars as long as u get a good launch and know when to switch your gears for max power then you'll be fine.

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Well it depends on what 1.8t your talking about. is it the 99.5-01 1.8t which had 150hp or the 02-current 1.8t with 180hp? I'll go with the current engine for this.
Here are the 1.8t's main competitors.
1) Honda Civic Si
2) Hyundai Tiburon v6
3) Toyota Celica GTS
4) Mitsu. Eclispe v6
5) Acura RSX-S
6) Ford Focus SVC
7) Mercury Couger v6
Over all the 1.8t should be able to beat all of these except the RSX-S in my opinion but that could be a drivers race too. This is stock to stock cars.

I think i have played around with all of these and the only close one was the RSX-S but still beat him. But i had my GTI chipped with some other goodies and i could tell he had some stuff done to his car also. My second close one and the only one i lost to was with a celica but he had that thing so TRD'ed out that i think he bought every piece available from them. The only reason he won was because i was completely stock and he had a shit load of stuff done to his. and lets see.. 150hp Stock to 200 and something modified and still on his tail....

jon

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone raced a Dodge SRT-4? Those seem like they would be pretty fast and are only $20k. Although I think of a dodge engine with a turbo on it and it makes me cringe.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well we'll see how durable those engines are. Time will tell. I courious on how much boost they are running stock and how much it'll actually be able to handel. i just saw a video of a VR6t against a SRT-4 that he claimed had 17psi but it just didn't seem right.... Here's the thread for it
CLICK ME CLICK ME
jon

·
Registered
130 Posts
Before I decked out my ride ( I put so much $ into it im scared to race it now) I beat the neon. He was a good driver too. I didnt kill him but i prbly say i had him by a car length.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 03 GTI Kitted Out:
Before I decked out my ride ( I put so much $ into it im scared to race it now) I beat the neon. He was a good driver too. I didnt kill him but i prbly say i had him by a car length.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you referring to the SRT-4? And what did you have when you raced him? (stock or???)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yea sorry, i still call it a neon, cuz lets face it....its a neon. haha. Engine was completly stock in both cars. he Had his car fr about a month and I had mine for like 2 months.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 03 GTI Kitted Out:
Yea sorry, i still call it a neon, cuz lets face it....its a neon. haha. Engine was completly stock in both cars. he Had his car fr about a month and I had mine for like 2 months.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - I figured thats what you meant and yeah, it is a neon and therefore a dodge.

on a side note I'll have to share this with one of my friends who is against everything import since he can be qouted to saying, "Well that SRT-4 could blow the doors off anything VW could put out." I guess not....

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
Yeah - I figured thats what you meant anon a side note I'll have to share this with one of my friends who is against everything import since he can be qouted to saying, "Well that SRT-4 could blow the doors off anything VW could put out." I guess not....

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't push your luck b/c i doubt he raced an srt4!
i hate to call a bluff but srt4's run 14's STOCK. vr6's and 1.8ts stock run 15's. u probably raced an sx 2.0 or he didn't know how to drive!

as for the srt4....well it's a neon no matter what you put in it!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
don't push your luck b/c i doubt he raced an srt4!
i hate to call a bluff but srt4's run 14's STOCK. vr6's and 1.8ts stock run 15's. u probably raced an sx 2.0 or he didn't know how to drive!

as for the srt4....well it's a neon no matter what you put in it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking along the same lines but didn't want to call anyone out on it....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have raced a SRT-4 and it was a pretty close race. I might have pulled 1/2 a length on him from 30mph to about 100mph, and my car is far from stock..........

With that said, I would be very surprised to see anyone pulling on a SRT-4 with a 1.8T on stock boost.

[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
I have raced a SRT-4 and it was a pretty close race. I might have pulled 1/2 a length on him from 30mph to about 100mph, and my car is far from stock..........

With that said, I would be very surprised to see anyone pulling on a SRT-4 with a 1.8T on stock boost.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be curious to see what an srt-4 has for potential with upgrades...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
exactly. did dodge max it out to begin with or where they conservative with it? Also was this the same turbo engine that was in the PT Cruiser?
jon

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
exactly. did dodge max it out to begin with or where they conservative with it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it seems as though it is maxed out but i think there will be room for upgrades.

plus there will be aftermarket parts offered by the dealer on behalf of mopar so i don't think they maxed out. i'm sure that they will offer a boost controller, bigger downpipe, probably bigger intercooler, intake and better exhaust.

[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Its the exact same motor as the PT turbo... they are mechanically identical cars.

Dodge has turbo'ed cars before, anyone remember the old K cars? Reliant and the like. The turbo's went out at about 25-30K miles....

Was significantly to blame for the whole Chrystler bankruptcy buyout in the 80's

As far as SRT vs. VW. I think the SRT will win unless the VW is highly modded. But in the long run, it will prove itself to be a MOPAR, and end up with something blowing up. Its a tradition thing.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
My second close one and the only one i lost to was with a celica but he had that thing so TRD'ed out that i think he bought every piece available from them. The only reason he won was because i was completely stock and he had a shit load of stuff done to his. and lets see.. 150hp Stock to 200 and something modified and still on his tail....

jon

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahhahaha.

Jon the Celica GT-S comes from the factory as a model Celica GT-S TRD.

It is exactly the same car as the GT-S except for better exhaust, ugly blue interior and panasonic deck. And bigger adjustable wing. They still rate it at 180 bhp. Although I would give it more 186 hp or so for the muffler.

The yellow is ugly but the dark blue / black paint is actually real nice.

Back to the topic... the new 180hp vw should have no problem with this car at the lower rpm's, but these celicas gt-s' are very powerful at 5.5K+ RPM due to VVT-i technology, I drove the shit out of them while at Toyota and it was amazing how big of a difference there is once you hit those RPM's, however the VW will be already infront of you by that time.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Regarding the SRT-4 - While is is definately closer to the limit than a stock 1.8T, it is easily upgradeable. They offer an OEM stage I kit (w/ warranty) that includes larger injectors and software that makes them pretty fast. Mopar has some other turbo cars that were very fast as well other than the K cars, the Daytonas, and the Shelby Daytona's, and the Conquest TSI were cars that were easily tuned to run mid to low 13 second passes reliably. I have a friend locally that had two daytonas that would give a stage III 1.8t a run for the money.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts