VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.

I just bought a 2003 VW GTI 20th anniversary. it has some heavy modifications done to it. DBB GT35R with external wastegate and 3In turbo back exhaust, Eurotune, 630cc Inj, AEM FPR, turbo xs rfl bov, aftermarket intercooler and piping, Emissions delete, Eboost2 boost gauge/controller, AEM wideband. The car has 68k miles on it and it runs very well and pulls very well and is in pretty good condition except for one thing. Electrical problems, I believe. The ABS and ASR light will flash and the dash lights and radio will turn off and on and the car will start to feel like its jerking back and fourth, it seemed this was random. That was all it was doing until I took it on a long long drive last weekend. It was doing what I explained over every bump it seemed and then the car died and wouldnt start up. I let it sit for awhile an then it started up and would drive except now the ECP light is on as well now and it will continue to act up the same randomly. any ideas what I could be?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you had the battery and alternator tested? Checked grounds and connections to the battery and alt?

Also, has the timing belt been done?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Sounds like an immobilizer issue. Could be hack job wiring. By the description of everything, sounds like the previous owner probably messed with a lot of the cars wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you had the battery and alternator tested? Checked grounds and connections to the battery and alt?

Also, has the timing belt been done?
the timing belt has been done. i did check the ground and they all seemed to be good, im getting 14v from the alternator and the battery is holding the 14v. i did notice that the connector piece going into the alternator was broke so i slid the connecotr piece back and hooked the wires onto the terminals, until i can find where to buy this connector piece. i have gone throught the wiring and im not seeing anything from the factory loom to be cut out, although i notice alot of the gauges are grounded to factory grounds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sounds like an immobilizer issue. Could be hack job wiring. By the description of everything, sounds like the previous owner probably messed with a lot of the cars wiring.
i do notice alot of these connectors taped off and not being used but i would guess thats because all of these emission equipment has been removed. I dont see any type of splicing into the main harness or anything that would indicate the guy had ripped into the main harness or any of the sensors. only excess wiring i see are for the aftermarket headlight assembly and the gauges. Also the dash light for the immbolizier or theft does not come up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay here are my codes.... I feel like this is all something in common causing all these codes:
17972-Throttle Actuator: Under-Voltage
17955-Boost pressure cont. valve short to ground
16946-System Voltage Low Voltage
16519-O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor1 Malfunction
17072 - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit
17069-ECM Power Relay Control Open Circuit Problem

anyone have any suggestions?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Sound like a bunch of stuff is unplugged or wires cut. The ECM code would scare me. I honestly can say I have no clue where to start. Exactly why I would never buy someone else's project. I'd be installing one of these in the window.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sound like a bunch of stuff is unplugged or wires cut. The ECM code would scare me. I honestly can say I have no clue where to start. Exactly why I would never buy someone else's project. I'd be installing one of these in the window.

well I will be able to take a good look at the wiring in the engine bay this week since I have discovered the head gasket is blown lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts