VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone with an MK3 Gti tell me what the color of the gauge cluster backlight is? I just baught a used white faced gauge GTI cluster to replace my malfunctioning one and hope that its green blacklight to match the rest of the dash. Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
white faces, orange needles, green lighting. btw, does anyone know if it is easy or even possible to change the green to, say, blue??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read about it once but i cant find the site for you. I know that it IS possible and involes getting new LEDS and replaceing the old green ones with the new color.

PS not an easy job, you have to take the sterring wheel and airbag out to get the gauge cluster out in order to access the lights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out how to change the color today.
It doesnt seem hard at all. I took apart my old gauge cluster in the basement this afternoon and saw how the backlighting works. It is a green gel that runs along the top. THere are two 2W bulbs that illuminate above that gel at the top and spill the light through a large slit opening facing the engine at the ceiling of the cluster. SO...replace that green gel with a blue one and there ya go!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi!!

dude, but how can i replace the green gel???

i change my gauges last week buy i didn't found a way toy remove the green gel...

please help me people..

and i'm having problem with the temperature needle, move more hot everyday...

thanx a lot :wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
PS not an easy job, you have to take the sterring wheel and airbag out to get the gauge cluster out in order to access the lights.[/quote]

actually, that's not true at all. you can take the gauges out without removing the steering wheel. i know because when my car got broken into, they took my gauge cluster without even touching the steering wheel. :evil:

·
Registered
335 Posts
dash kit was stock for a 97 Gti. they also took my Motegis, my box and 12", my amp, headunit and my daily planner. i painted some of the surrounding pieces white, while the rest of the dash remained black, so i guess they thought it was special. stupid. i got another one from an earlier year VW in a junkyard for $10, and to tell the truth i like it better. all i know is that they didn't touch the steering wheel, because i had the cops fingerprint the entire interior, and nothing came up but me.....yes, i've been fingerprinted in the past :roll:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are a some links I found when I did my research for this project!

http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/advanced_gauge_lighting/index.htm
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/cabby_cluster_info.htm
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/ri_gauge_faces/index.htm

Let me tell you though be very careful when your doing this because, when I was trying to convert from green to blue I completely screwed up my gauge cluster. After I cut out the blue film pieces to replace the green, put the cluster back together. The needles were all out of whack. So to make a long story short, I had to buy a new gauge cluster! So be very cautious when you doing this. Especially popping the needles off.
I kinda wished I would have bought one of the indiglo kit on ebay. You can get either green or blue or a combination. I personally think the combo would look good because it would still go with the other green lights in you car. But, theres some info for you! Good Luck!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts