VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im really thinking of getting either a Golf or a GTi... but thats the problem... i dont know wether to get a Golf or GTI...

i like the golf cuz its got 4 doors, and its cheaper (main reason)

i like the GTI cuz its faster, cooler, and it comes in the color i want (smoke grey or somethin like that)... what do you think? a Golf or a GTi?

·
Registered
158 Posts
get the gti. i had the same problem when i went to buy a new vw.i have a 199godd luck9.5 vw golf gls. i love it because of the 4 doors, but yet i regret that that i did not get the gti, because of speed, and heated seats. good luck

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
when I was looking for a vw, I originally was looking for a golf. but then I drove the silver gti vr6, and I loved it. I also got a good price on my trade in (96 jetta). If I were to do it again, I would. def stick with the GTI.
and yeah, the cool factor is also there. yeah you can mod a 4 door golf, but they look pretty dumb (in my opinion).

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Although I drive a Jetta;

I'd go for the GTi hands down. The difference in style and performance will far outweigh the price difference, specially if you are financing.
Do the math of what your payments will be per month for both cars. Then ask yourself if the difference outweighs the benefits of the GTi.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I agree with these guys. Unless...... If you looking at getting a used VW, if you could find a 2000 golf (that's right golf not gti) with the 1.8t in it, you could have best of both worlds!! The 4-doors and a turbo engine

jon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
gti all the way man. and if you do decide on a golf, you can still get the 1.8t. and if you get the gti, i think the color your refering to is silverstone gray.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Everyone took the words right out of my mouth...4 DR 1.8T. I know a kid with one and he loves it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive been thinking about this all day, and i just checked the thread, and all of you guys said GTI... i had thought that a GOlf GLS would be much better then a half assed GTi.... i dont think speed is that much of an issue for me.. because im coming from a 2 door Rav4.... ( i know, its a piece of shit, but its stick) as long as the VW clutch, and gear changing is smooth, i think 115 hp is good enough for me...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babo:
ive been thinking about this all day, and i just checked the thread, and all of you guys said GTI... i had thought that a GOlf GLS would be much better then a half assed GTi.... i dont think speed is that much of an issue for me.. because im coming from a 2 door Rav4.... ( i know, its a piece of shit, but its stick) as long as the VW clutch, and gear changing is smooth, i think 115 hp is good enough for me...what do you guys think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Not all of them said GTI.
2) You failed to mention the little fact that performance is not important to you.
3) Get the GOLF. VOILA!

·
Registered
71 Posts
GTI's are Classic cars . check out the European Car magazine for this month. It is all over the 20 years of GTI. It never goes old and the best part of it all is that the older your car get the more respect you get although your car is less powered than the new ones. SORRY I am late on this but i have to say GRAND TURISMO INJECTED.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I originally wasnt going to mod my car. I wasnt into the whole modding scene. but then, I found a little place called the vwforum, and thats when it all started..haha. but I wanted 4 doors too, and performance didnt matter to me (at the time). Id go with the golf if I were you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i heard that the 04 golfs are gonna have 150hp, so ill get a GLS 04 Black Golf with biege interior.... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babo:
i heard that the 04 golfs are gonna have 150hp, so ill get a GLS 04 Black Golf with biege interior.... what do you guys think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now are you talking about the MK V when the 2005's come out in '04? I haven't heard anything about the MK IV putting the 150hp in the golf yet. Anyone else?
jon

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I think i can put this baby to sleep...

Babo,
If performance is not at top of your list and you drive a 5-speed, get the GOLF.

An automatic 115hp 2.0 may leave you lacking for a little oomph.

Bottom line: Go down to your local VW dealer and test drive them both, let your arse (and the hairs on the back of your neck) be the judge!

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts