VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all; I'm seriously considering getting a new suspension for my 1.8t but I have a couple q's:
1. I've searched the forum and basically came up with the H&R cup kit as the winner. I can get it for 575 from virtual world, but on tirerack.com it says: When lowering the chassis more than 1.4", you must use H&R front sway bar #900.525.01 to accommodate drive shaft cleara nce.

Is this true? Do I have to buy that too?

Also, is this easy to install or should i get someone to do it for me? How much would it run for a good installation?
Thanks!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Can help ya with the part about the sway bar, I don't have a clue on that one.

As for installing it, if you have the tools, and have some basic knowledge of wrench-turning, it's pretty simple. If it were me (and hopefully it will be here in the near future) I'd do it myself, but that's just because I have a never ending supply or resources!!!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I had my suspension installed for $250. I called around, and found the best price to be around $150, but it was from a ghetto shop, so I went with someone I trusted. hope this helps. oh part of that $250 was new strut bearings.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Honestly, you only need the front sway bar (at 1.4" drop) if you are planning to make very tight corners at an unreasonable speed. Which you can do of course with the Sway bar as it will not allow your car to roll that much. Since you are replacing the whole suspension it should cost you the same as just putting the springs on. As a matter of fact, if your suspencion is already assembled (meaning the springs are already on the shocks) it might be even cheaper. A dealership should be able to do it in under $250. But don't allign in at VW Dealership... they're charging an arm and a leg for alignment. Alignment should cost you more then $60 - $80 for all car. VW quoted me $70 Canadian ($40 US) per wheel. I laughed and left.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts