VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drop on these guys is 2" I believe. Any other items need to be replaced other than shocks? Quick responses appreciated and thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Bumpstops might be bad...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what you mean.....what are "bumpstops"?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIboarder:
Race springs are gonna give you a real solid ride, meaning you will feel every bump in the road; no matter what kind of shock you use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed - still not sure what bumpstops are though. it's a new term for me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
=/....Race Springs? Damn...Sport Springs is already driving me nuts driving on my bumpy unpaved road....soon, one day im going to sue the city for not paving my roads!
..Also the 2" drop might look good...but performance wise is not gonna be as good. The handling ain't gonna be as good. Also, once the springs get old, they will sag a little, so your looking 2" +

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIboarder:
Race springs are gonna give you a real solid ride, meaning you will feel every bump in the road; no matter what kind of shock you use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I already feel every bump in the road. How worst can it get?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also, you think if i take my car to the dealer, and tell them i have rattles here and there. You think they would fix them for me? It would be cool if they could

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was only asking b/c I thought I might have a good deal on some race springs with some shocks but finding out that it was not as good of a deal as I would like b/c the guy used the shocks for autoX. That's really no good for me. I wanted the sport springs more but was thinking of compromising for some savings but looks like it won't happen now so I will most likely end up with sport springs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
dont get either. keep your money and save more until you have enough for coilovers. If it takes u 6months then atleast you will know that you bought something thats top quality and you wont worry about whats better, you will have the best there is. H&R coilovers all the way.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoLLinVDub:
dont get either. keep your money and save more until you have enough for coilovers. If it takes u 6months then atleast you will know that you bought something thats top quality and you wont worry about whats better, you will have the best there is. H&R coilovers all the way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From everything I've read coilovers only seem worth it if you are really going to slam the car - which isn't my intention. Ideally I really wouldn't want to drop it more than 1.5" just because of clearance and I don't want to attract too much attention. What is the argument for going for the coilovers if one doesn't plan to drop the car very much? With the price of coilovers often 2x the cost of getting shocks and springs I'm not sure they can provide something that is 2x better for my (and a lot of other people's) needs. I'm open to people convincing me otherwise though. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Coilovers aren't for everyone. Sure, they offer infinite adjustability, but the ride is very, very stiff...though some people may like that.

Tom, the max I would go for on a daily driver is a 1.5" drop. I believe if you go over that you need to change the front sway bar because the stocker will hit the front axle shafts...I might be wrong on that though.

Go with the sport springs...hold out until a deal comes up. I'm just waiting for a deal on the Bilstein sport struts...thats what I need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts