VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new here, having just picked up my silver 2003 VR6 a week ago. So far I love it - the car is a rocket, and there is just no other way to describe it!

I have found a disadvantage with the 17" wheels though; the cost of snow tires is ridiculous. I live in the north-east, where winter is the time of year that the white fluffy stuff covers the ground, and have come to love Bridgestone's Blizzaks for winter driving. When I called to look into prices, I was shocked to hear $300 each for 17" Blizzaks. Instead, I could go for four 16" Blizzaks on steel rims, mounted, balanced, etc for $1100.

After recovering from sticker-shock I told the salesman "thanks" and hung up. I'd appreciate hearing from anybody with experiance driving a GTI in the snow. How do they handle? Do you use snows in the winter? What kind/size?

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
mine kicks ass, ive got the stock michellins and traction control, of course ive only driven rear wheel drive vehicles till now, so i think its great. you can get a set of 16 inch rims, pretty nice ones with blizzaks mounted from the tirerack for 800 bux, thats a whole set of 4, on alloy rims, if you really want. as long as you know how to drive in the snow you shouldnt need snow tires at all. unless you already have high performance summer tires...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to let everybody know how this worked out. I ended up getting a set of Blizzaks on 15" rims from tirerack.com for $550 - a far cry from the $1200 Firestone wanted for four 17" Blizzaks!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
17" Blizzaks is a bad idea anyway. With the ce and snow on the road, potholes and worse can be hiding under some fresh powder. Hittin those things with a low profile tire means blowouts and bent rims. The higher sidewall gives the tire more oppertunity to absorb the impact and save your wheels and car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
if you go onto ebay, you may find a set of "take off" or used rims for close to the same price as steel rims from tirerack. My GLI came with 17", I pulled those off for the winter and I'm running on 16" rims with Blizzak tires. The car was fine on x-mas when we had 7+ inches of snow in the North east. Call your parts department for the exact recommended tire size, I'm pretty sure VW will tell you to put 205/55/R16 winter tires on there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts