VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin to buy some xenon headlight bulbs. i think they would look cool. how hard is it to change the bulbs out of my gti? if its really hard, its just not worth it.
also anyone hear anything about K&N drop ins being bad for your car. i hear when they get dirty, the dirt cakes to the paper and you cant get it off and it doses more harm to your engine than good, hear anything about this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
they are not hard at all. then only hard part is the light bulb closest to the battery. you have to take off a plastic mold that is attached by three screws. its just a pain with the battery in the way. good luck!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there anything online saying how to do it so i can have a tatorial while i do it? thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot stebe!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Dubwink,

Installing new headlight was a piece of cake. pop the hood and you'll see a plastic cover around the headlight area. slide the clamp on it and take off the plastic piece. you'll see another clamp on the base of the bulb unit which you'll have to push and slide off as well (if it's easier, pull out the connector to the actual bulb first, or pull it out after you loosen the clamp). take out the bulbs, voila.

BIG CAUTION: I replaced my bulbs with HID bulbs and they blew when I put them back in. Made a ^%@#ing mess in the headlight unit. Took it back to the dealer (i had some other things which needed to be looked at). originally they were going to charge me $100 (US$63 for all you Yankees). They had to take off the front bumber to take out the headlight and shake it out. To make a longer story short i didn't pay that much. The guy said NEVER change just the bulbs- VWs run at a low wattage. Said if I wanted the HIDs then i should get the whole kit.

Moral of the story: DO NOT CHANGE JUST THE BULBS.

If anyone wants to put a buying group together for a kit let me know... anyone have any connections for this???

2002 GTI 1.8T Silver

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Stebe ]

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Stebe ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts