VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though they're sorta ghey, I saw a Harlequin Golf this morning in Souderton, PA. It's like seeing bigfoot, but less important.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Aaah OK. I saw one of those for a long time at my dealership. Trend Motors in Rockaway, NJ if anyone else had their baby delivered there....

Yeah it is kind of weird looking. I'd call it a Franken-Golf... looks like it's slapped together with unwanted spare parts.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:

There was a decent version at Waterfest last year, with nice rims, and a VR6 swap.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah. it was near the vwf tent. I have seen a few of these. I just thought that people found parts in assorted colors, and slapped them on. Did vw actually produce these? If so, WHY?!
clown cars are for carneys, like this guy

·
Registered
777 Posts
gosh i can feel the heat from all that flaiming!

·
Registered
158 Posts
hmm, the harlequin, dont like it, i dont know why vw made that car it's a car for jokesters. but yeah i also a few years back saw it at that place in rockaway nj.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, still learning about Dubs it seems... what's a Harlequin Golf? Aside from funny answers... *cough*

·
Registered
499 Posts
There was one for sale in Kitchener, Ontario last summer. I like them, but i don't think i could own one. One of the local stereo shops used to use one as their competition car. They won quite a few trophies with it!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
They made just over 250 of them. All by hand.

They brought 4 complete cars of each color, took them apart and swapped body panels by hand... one by one.

There's 4 different color combos as they changed the panels around in sets.

The option was $150

My local VW dealership uses one for its parts runner. The story behind it is that it was too ugly, and no one would buy it. It sat in the front of the lot for a couple years before they gave up, stickered it with the dealership name, and started driving it.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
that's pretty fugly if u ask me! i wouldn't drive one of those

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by das boot:
Even though they're sorta ghey,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That means that male Golfs like other male Golfs and female Golfs like other female Golfs.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIboarder:
The gay man's Golf.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and did you know that ONLY gay men are allowed to drive these. Straight mens cars are only 1 color.

Sorry, kind of sensitive about this kind of thing, and I don't think VWF is the place for it. (I have a feeling this thread is getting locked soon.)

[ January 31, 2004: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ya, Ive seen a couple of them around here. It used to be a big "hip" thing for car companies to allow designers to add their touch to a car and sell it as a limited edition. Hence the Benneton Harliquin. The Eddie Bauer Explorer/Expedition etc.... and there was a Polo/RL Pontiac Grand Prix... It was a Blue and Green Tartan plaid paintjob. there used to be one over by the college. If I can find it I will take a pic to show you guys. It is really wierd. I know Versache did one with leopard print seats and a jeweled steering wheel, but I can't remember what manufacturer it was.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Like quite a few people have mentioned already. The harlequin is an advertising tool to get people to notice these cars. The Benetton campaign has been over for quite a few years now but there are still quite a few people still interested/confused when they see these cars rolling around.

As in Aaron's example, I think the harlequin is best suited to be a dealership parts fetcher.

·
Registered
22 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
There was a decent version at Waterfest last year, with nice rims, and a VR6 swap.
yep, i think i saw it at one of the hotels on saturday night. i think they look kinda cool myself, even though it DOES look like someone went to a jumkyard for some parts, and hasn't had the time to get it all sprayed the same color.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts