VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this could be a serious problem. I came out of the skate park tonight, and flipped my "new" euro switch on. nothing. my wipers started flipping out-moved a little and then stopped, then moved really slow and stopped(they were not on), and my high beam light came on(they were also were off) on the instrument panel. then I took my emergency brake off, and drove around in the parking lot. then, finally my headlights turned on. so I let it sit for a while, to make sure they would stay on for the ride home. BUT...when I was just getting off of route 15, ALL of my headlights turned completely off!!! let me tell you, that is scary!! going 50mph in cattle chuttes(sp?)with no headlights. they shut off when I put my turn signal on. so that obviously triggered them to shut off. then I went crazy to turn them back on so I turned my switch several times, on and off, and flicked my turn signals to try to turn it back on. finally (was just a few seconds-but felt like longer) they came back on for the rest of the 1 mile to my house. OK. so, I am thinking it is my euroswitch. I had no sort of problems like this before I had the e-code switch. I am going to put my stock switch in my car in case it starts acting up again. has anyone had this problem before?? if its not the euro switch, what else could it be? thank you for your input/answers.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hmm. Were you having electrical problems at H20 with your windows??
jon

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah a fuse was the problem. I checked the fuses, not completely, but I will check them all tomorrow over lunch.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I will keep my answer to this one after you try your stock light swith out. If the problem persists I will give it more thought.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brian,

I understand that from a certain point onwards, VW changed their electrical wiring from a standard one-wire to each electrical device style, over to a data-bus style cabling. Could your vehicle have this data-bus style cabling? If that is the case, perhaps the switch is sending the wrong signal?

I say this because I heard that in some of the newer model vehicles with data-bus cabling, it is difficult to replace the OEM stereo system - may after market systems simply would not work. This was something I recall from reading in an Audi forum a while ago.

But then again, I could be wrong - just a thought anyway.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My wifes god-forsaken neon did this too, it turned out to be the computer that contrals the dash board. It seems to me that since the wipers were freaking out it was probably more than just the e-code switch.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken:
Brian,

I understand that from a certain point onwards, VW changed their electrical wiring from a standard one-wire to each electrical device style, over to a data-bus style cabling. Could your vehicle have this data-bus style cabling? If that is the case, perhaps the switch is sending the wrong signal?

I say this because I heard that in some of the newer model vehicles with data-bus cabling, it is difficult to replace the OEM stereo system - may after market systems simply would not work. This was something I recall from reading in an Audi forum a while ago.

But then again, I could be wrong - just a thought anyway.

Ken.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken- what you said DOES make sense. but the switch worked for about 3+ weeks with no problems. I would think if the data-bus was the problem, it wouldn't work at all. fli, it could be the computer in my dash that is wacked out. I am going to check the fuses now, and let you know what I find. thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i am with Fli 100% that was the first thing i was thinking when i read it. i was like, computer! hope that it is just the fuses, or if it is the comp, time to upgrade right?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah, i hope its nothign serious. and i dont think its the switch. it doesent seem like that woudl happen. hope your problems get resolved before tomorow night.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted a cry for help on the vortex for someone in my area, if they could take a look at my car, and see if they can figure it out. thanks for your support guys.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Why don't you call the VW dealership, tell them this happened in a GTI with the factory headlight switch, and maybe thye will know. They could have encountered this before, and they may tell you. Doesn't hurt to try...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
straz is right. dont tell them that you ahve an aftermarket switch. that could void your warrenty!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
true it is a vw part (not stock but a vw part). plus, I dont have a factory warranty on it anymore, I bought a warranty when I bought it with 50k miles on it. well, the problem has not gone away. it flipped out again tonight. turned on my switch(I put the stock one back in), and the lights were fine for like 3-4 minutes, then boom, they went out. then I pulled the key, and my check brake pads light came on, high beam light came on (no headlights were on), then I pulled my key out of the ignition, the wipers started going!!!! NO KEY!!!! ok weird huh? so I pull my hood release, and they stop. I started it up again, and they were fine the whole way home(15 min). Dont know what it might be. Im talking to jon now. He and I think it might be the computer chip-might be fried? dont know but I am pissed as shit. I hope this is solved soon. Im going to check the connection with the brake sensor, see if that is in correctly-cause when it starts flipping out, the "check brake pads" light always comes on. so Ill let you know what I find. thanks guys

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright. here is the deal. my brake sensor clip is cracked. I taped it up, and the light is still on. I will check it in the morning, and hopefully it is ok. If not, I will manually reset the ecu.(unhook battery for 15+ minutes over lunch. if that doesnt work, I will call the place that a few vortex members told me about in my area. thanks.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Brian...
After talking to some Toyota Techs today...
they said it could be your ECU if the wipers came on also.

As per the Sensor... a slight crack in the housing could cause your check light to come on, so the tape is definetly a temp fix. If the light would not come off over night they suggested to unplug the -ve from your battery to try a reset.

But since all sounds good now...don't worry.

Again best of luck.

PS: I showed them your pics you send me yesterday in regards to the sensor.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sound to me like it some kind of "GEM" module
GEM=Generic Electronic Module problem. Controls the wipers, lights, warning chime,courtesy lamps, and probably one touch down windows, Etc. Hope this helps

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: A3VeeWee ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update: no problems this morning. the brake sensor light did not come on. so Im hoping the tape is a temporary fix. I contacted the guy who I got the brake pads from. He said he can replace them. so I hope that was the problem, and I hope for it to be fixed soon. thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
well, yeah it sounds like your comp is fried! but thats coming from someone hwo doesnt realy knwo much about electrical. i ahd a problem with my e-brake light coming on, and that was cuz i was low on brake fluid due to a hole in a line, if you fix the comp or whatever and that is still giving you a problem, check the brake fluid level. maybe you messed something when you did your brakes. just an idea

1 - 20 of 24 Posts