VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Jetta gls and when iding the temp gauge will rise to normal, but whenever I am driving no matter how long the temp gauge goes all the way to cold and never goes up. the heater gets a little warm but no matter how long i drive it wont get hot enough to be worth while.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck slightly open. When you are at idle the engine warms up because there is no air flow through the radiator. When you are driving the air flow through the rad allows the coolant to cool down. If you change the thermostat I would get an OEM one not the autozone one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i agree, definitely replace the thermostat with an oem part first. its not that bad to do and fairly inexpensive. good place to start. sometimes heater cores get blocked up too, but the temp gauge would be hot. and the ect (engine coolant temp sensor) goes out on these too. so just some things to check out. more then likely is the thermostat though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Back "in the day" this was about a yearly or every 2-year problem. Everyone knew the symptoms of a stuck thermostat.

Don't remember the last thermostat I've changed out...except the one on my Excursion I did voluntarily to drive the temps up a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck slightly open. When you are at idle the engine warms up because there is no air flow through the radiator. When you are driving the air flow through the rad allows the coolant to cool down. If you change the thermostat I would get an OEM one not the autozone one.
lol dont ever get stuff from autozone

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
lol dont ever get stuff from autozone
Its not so much Autozone as it is the cheap store brand stuff they carry. You can get a real OEM german Tstat from there -you just have to ask for it.

That said, some of the cheap Tstats don't seat very well on the Oring in the the housing because their diameter is fractionally smaller -especially on Mk2s and Mk3s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts