VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2000 Jetta 2.0 - Has been a great car for the last 7 years. I have used this site for quite sometime as it has been a great help. I have been able to troubleshoot and fix almost every issue I have ever had in my garage with the help of the members here. So with that being said, the reason I am finally "joining" is to ask for help on a situation I can't seem to troubleshoot.

Symptoms: Engine will start as usual and then drop to 600rpm and then pull right back up to 1000rpm at idle. It will then idle without any problems. I begin to drive and if I ride the clutch a little it drives great. However when I begin to decelerate if I press in the clutch without any gas the RPM will again drop to 600rpm and then come back up to 1000. It does this at every stop light. The link listed below is a video I took right after starting it up IMG 1136 - YouTube

The cruise control has quit working. The A/C only works over 2000rpm - and then its crazy cold. While idling the A/C will not work. (Fan does work just not cold)

I believe this all of this started one morning when the vehicle was completely dead. (Wife wasn't sure but thinks this is when it happened) I checked under the hood and played with the battery and the main fuze box and magically everything came back. Assumed it was a loose wire. I tightened everything but didn't find the exact culprit.

I know that it has to be a sensor somewhere - but with the list of random issues I don't know where to start. Last but not least I have ZERO codes to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
100 views and no replies....

Starting to think something exhaust related? not enough back pressure? it is a 13 year car... anyone with a similar experience?

·
Registered
517 Posts
The battery was completely dead? Maybe you have a low voltage condition or a bad ground. How old is the battery?

Break out the volt meter and check it with the engine off and again with the engine running. 12volts when off is good. 13.5 - 14.5 volts with the engine at idle is also a good range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts