VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first post here. So about 3 months ago, my Jetta took a little longer than normal of cranking the key before the engine actually started, but once it did everything was fine. Then about a month later I stopped at a store, went inside for 10 minutes, came back out and turned the key and again it took about twice as long of cranking before the engine started, then when I started driving away the engine cut when I idled at a stop sign. I turned the key off then back on and it started no problem. I went over to my FIL’s house as he’s a mechanic (hates VW’s though and hasn’t worked on them). He suggested we examine fuel filter/lines and that it sounds like a fuel issue (not getting enough fuel). He suggested i take it out and slam on the gas and see if she struggles, i did it and there was no issue when getting to high RPM’s at all and no struggling at all. So I replaced The fuel filter and after replacing it we checked the pressure on the fuel line. After turning the car off, the pressure was at 50 PSI, and over the course of 20 minutes it dropped to Just under 30 somewhat linearly. Then stayed there, he said probably a fuel pump issue but that to see if the filter replacement fixed it temporarily. Went another month with no issues and then today when I picked my daughter up from their house, I turned the key after being inside for 20 minutes and it took like 5 times as long of cranking before the engine turned over but the EPC light was on(first time I’ve seen it.) I sat there for a minute and as the car was idling the needle in the RPM gauge was bouncing slightly and I could feel the engine struggling. I shut it off and waited a second and then turned the key again and the engine started perfectly. I just drove it home with no issues.
Any ideas? I’m thinking I’ll just buy a new fuel pump and replace it anyway as I hear that’s an issue commonly found with VW’s. I love the car and want to make sure I’m doing everything as needed.
I’m new to VW’s and new to CAR repair. I’ve done a fair amount on motorcycles but not so much cars. So dont be afraid to hold back if I seem dumb. Haha.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts