VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently took my car in to the dealership because my A/C stopped outputting cold air! They said that the compressor needed replacing. Well I did a bit of poking around and I opened the green cap and found out whatever fluid needs to be in there was WAY low. Really below the MIN level! So is this the freon coolant stuff? Included is a pic so you know what I am talking about.

If it isn't the freon coolant what is it, and where is the freon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crap.. my bad.. that is the power steering fluid right?

I guess I need a recharge on the AC. I refuse to believe I need a new compressor after 3 years!

·
Registered
423 Posts
First off, Not to break your balls but you need to clean under the hood once in a while

Next, yes the green cap is power steering fluid.

The A/C system is closed you can't check it unless you have R134a gauges. so correctly see what the pressures are on the low side
and the high side

There is a small black case on the firewall that you can see in your pic. Its on the pass. side. If you undo that, there is two screw caps, 1 bigger than the other. unscrew one and use a small flathead screwdriver and press down on the valve. But wear gloves and eye protection when you do it. When you press lightly down on it, you should hear a hiss of air. If you don't you have no freon in the system. If you hear it you have some but maybe not enough to kick the A/C compressor on. You never want a big gush of freon.
Also you never want to release really any into the air. It will hurt the ozone layer.

Please be carefull. Just a thought. If you don't feel comfortable doing that Then take it back to the dealer and have them hook it up to some gauges.

Good Luck

Don't push the valve too hard!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts