VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My car has been getting around 130km to half tank. Near 210km a tank or so. I have read about people getting around 440km a tank. I just got the coilpack replaced with a brand new one, also the fuel filter was just changed. Both done about 200km ago. Now the sparkplug wires look pretty bad but how much could this affect gas milage?

Also, white smoke comes out on start up for about 2 mins then goes away once warm.

Anything else that could be causing this?

Let me know,
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Does the white smoke happen only in cold temperatures or all temperatures? This may sound weird but get close and smell it, smell for oil. White smoke is usually coolant being burnt. Could point to a head gasket issue. Hows your coolant level?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,
Just checked the coolant it's about 3mm under MAX. The white smoke smells like heavy gas lol. Not to sure about the cold or warm situation because I have only owned this car for cold tempatures so far.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
It will smell heavy like gas because cars run rich on cold start ups. Monitor your coolant level on the white smoke.

Sounds like one of your o2 sensor or MAF sensor could be sending wonky signals to the ecu and running rich. I would suspect anything ignition (wires, plugs, such), they wouldnt cause that drastic of a drop in gas mileage.

Also is your ebrake dragging on the rotor at all? The rear calipers tend to seize on these cars from frozen ebrake cables.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would this be difficult to find out which O2 sensor it is?
Is this expensive to do?

And I just had the rear pads and rotors done so I guess everything was alright for them not to tell me anything.

Also, the car has a resonator delete done by one of the P/O's if this helps.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
o2 sensors are hard to get to and can be expensive to get at if at a shop. Yours is OBD2 so it will have 2 sensors. Any driveability or idle issues at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only idle issue is on start up, it will backfire a bit (resonator delete?) and idle a bit above 1000 then once warm it will idle at like 850.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would look at your recirculation components. Like the EGR and PCV. Im pretty sure if they had failed they would impact your efficiency significally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts