VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright here is the 411, one day me and my bro are driving my 94 golf, we turn and the car dies. try to start it, it cranks but won't turn seems to be getting weaker and weaker with each crank. now it does nothing no crank no nothing, when you turn the ignition. what can cause such a catastrophic failure, help me please, car has been sitting in the snow at my boys house for like 6 months now. car is for sale too if you don't mind a dead car. trying to fix to sell. go here to see info- http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14876 , copy and paste.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Sounds like alt may have died and the car would crank on battery reserve untill that runs out. Was it making a whinning noise befoe it died? Just something to look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it was driving fine then poof the car just died. there is 2 problems that may have caused it. my brother was cleaning the motor a couple of days before, could that have caused anything??? and i have been having like a serious oil leak like forever now, could that cause the car to just die and never start again.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Usually the battery light will be on long before it will die. Check the battery connections to make sure you've got good contact.

When it cranked over did it sound funny at all.. did you check the timing belt?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
timing belt and everything is fine, battery seems to be in okay condition, i mean like the interior stuff is on, and lights can come on, so the battery cables and connections are fine. alternator will cause it to die, but i tried jumping the battery and starting it and nothing happens, the starter does even crank or go off at all. and i was thinking it could be the starter but that will not cause the car to die.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Bad ground? Lose wire on the starter? These are just stabs in the dark since I'm not looking at it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My car it had the exact same symptoms when the bottom end went out of it except it made a very loud noise for about the last 2 mins or so it was driving. After it died everything is exactly as you describe. Maybe that helps.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would check everything like the battery, altenator, voltage regulator, ground cables, starter, and starter solenoid. But from my experience it could also be your ignition coil, distributor and rotor, and your plugs and wires. Also check your fuel system. Check your fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure reg, fuel lines and most importantly check your fuel pump relay and fuse. The starter is probably not cranking because of a bad battery, bad connection or a bad ground, but what might have caused your car to die might have to do with your ignition and fuel systems. Just a thought. Just check them before you go and sell your car for $500. If it's a simple fuse or connection it could easily be fixed.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hey bloody golf,
the same thing happened to my 98 jetta. ran fine and then one day i was driving and the car just shut off. it turned out to be my ignition coil. it was a couple hundred to fix. check it out before you bury the car.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vento2pointO:
Hey bloody golf,
the same thing happened to my 98 jetta. ran fine and then one day i was driving and the car just shut off. it turned out to be my ignition coil. it was a couple hundred to fix. check it out before you bury the car.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wouldnt cause it to not crank tho...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
i guess i should also add that my CEL was on for about a month prior. i ignored it and I fried my computer, so the dealer said. When i turned the key nothing happened. no noise, nada

·
Registered
466 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
That wouldnt cause it to not crank tho...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would if you killed the starter trying to start it with no spark...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts