VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey can somebody give me some advice. I have a 1999.5 vw golf gls with 121000 miles on it, the car is in excellent condition. i have not once had a problem with it till now. my problem started off that everytime i step on my brakes my steering wheel shakes a lot. it's been doing this for a couple of days. tonite it started also that every time i make a sharp turn, there is a clunk noise i hear and i can feel it. otherwise their is no shaking in the steering wheel. now what i wonder is if somebody can give me some advice befor i take it into the shop. A. #1 i am a chic, and i dont want the garage to do something wrong, at least i want a few ideas as to what it might be. thank you, sonja
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,760 Posts
Hey whats up!It sounds like a cv joint is finally going.Also have a mechanic check the wheel bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,718 Posts
sonja,
do you have lowering springs on your golf?
after I got mine on, I heard a clunking noise too. I have had this problem for a long while now, and I want to get it taken care of once and for all. I have been told: 1. the rubber oem "disc" that goes between the cup of the suspension, and the spring, is missing. 2. the spring is too short and is moving around when I turn 3. the suspension is fine, and will not cause problems (but its freaking annoying)...so could it be that there is no rubber disc in there, in turn making the spring too short for the suspension? therefore making the spring turn, instead of staying stationary? Someone please help, as this problem is really annoying. sonja, I hope you get your problem fixed (as I hope I get mine fixed too) thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you mark. hey are cv joints expensive to fix. brian---- i do not have a lowering springs on the car yet. but when i do purchase them i will remember what you said. thanx again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, one more thing, is it safe to drive the car or should i let it sit till she hits the garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
Actually Sonja it sounds like you just need to replace your rotors in the front. (more then likely I would check rear as well).

You might replaced the brake pads but try to remember if they replaced your rotors?

Worn and warped rotors are the primary couse for shaking steering wheel while braking.


Hope this helps. It shouldn't be too expensive either, just whatever you do don't go to a car dealer or it will be.

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx everyone, about 2 months ago i had the front brakes replaced. at that time they shaved the front rotors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cozmic79:
thanx everyone, about 2 months ago i had the front brakes replaced. at that time they shaved the front rotors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry but shaving is only good when they are really slightly rough. Not warped.

If these are still your original rotors I would strongly suggest you replace them and your problem should disappear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
The Rotors are warped, that's why the steering wheel shakes when you hit the brakes.The warped so soon since you had them cut is because the rotors are probably at their limit. They won't be able to cut them again. You will have to replace them.

The Clicking noise is most likely a CV joint. The boot may have ripped and now the joint is open to the elements.

The only way to straighten a out of round rotor out you have to cut it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,513 Posts
replace the whole axle not just the cv joint. .Napa sells them for like 60 bucks and the napa that i have an acount with gives liftime warranties on there axles. I would also change your rotors like thomas said, it's also a good excuse to get vented rotors.
Might as well pay a little more if you're replacing them anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by m of team sand s:
Hey whats up!It sounds like a cv joint is finally going.Also have a mechanic check the wheel bearings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

took the words right out of my mouth... amen brotha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
I would also change your rotors like thomas said, it's also a good excuse to get vented rotors.
Might as well pay a little more if you're replacing them anyway.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

keith...all mk4 oem brake rotors are vented. maybe you mean cross drilled, or slotted??? yeah I would def recommend cross drilled brake rotors. they work very nice. sonja, I think maybe the reason my suspension clicks, and clunks is because maybe sach springs are not an exact match for bilstein shocks?? Im really not sure. hope you find out whats wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
keith...all mk4 oem brake rotors are vented. maybe you mean cross drilled, or slotted??? yeah I would def recommend cross drilled brake rotors. they work very nice. sonja, I think maybe the reason my suspension clicks, and clunks is because maybe sach springs are not an exact match for bilstein shocks?? Im really not sure. hope you find out whats wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya learn somthing new everyday.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,420 Posts
I have the same problem when I'm turning. It only happens when I take really sharp turns. I asked the mechanic at the dealership about it and he said my strut mount is probably broken. The service manager told me about $220 to get fixed. I am defnitely bringing it somewhere else...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am going to drop the car off tomorrow in the shop. i will keep everyone posted as to what the problem is. once again thanx everyone for your advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
brian that reminds me, can you give me the link or whateve4r to the place you bought yours, i need em soon!
rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I have the same problem when I'm turning. It only happens when I take really sharp turns. I asked the mechanic at the dealership about it and he said my strut mount is probably broken. The service manager told me about $220 to get fixed. I am defnitely bringing it somewhere else...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll have to check into that. damn I want this fixed. thanks. rich, check your mail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
I had the same clunking problem with mine that you all speak of. It started right after I installed my H&R Sports and Koni's. I ripped them back out and reinstalled with new strut mounts and bearings and the problem went away. I would highly recommend people getting the VWMotorsports Upper Strut Mounts and new bearings when installing lowering springs with higher spring rates. You can buy them from www.parts4vws.com. You also may want to check the front sway bar where it connects to the endlinks that attach to the lower control arm. When these get loose, they will make a similar noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
[QB]I ripped them back out and reinstalled with new strut mounts and bearings and the problem went away. I would highly recommend people getting the VWMotorsports Upper Strut Mounts and new bearings when installing lowering springs with higher spring rates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top