VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this 92 GTI sitting in the barn with a big hole were the engine should be. I have not done anything to it since I removed the engine several years ago. I have recently gained some serious vw motivation.

I also have the front half of a 95 GTI 5 speed with 37k miles on it.

But recently found this.....

What do I do???? Do I put the salvaged 2.0 and tranny into my car and ad forced injection? Or do I move on the vr6 kit. I know that corrodos make better donar cars for vr6 mk2 conversions. But is this a good deal? What else would I need for the swap? Subframe or motor mount adjustments? I have about 4k I could dump into the car.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It all depends on what you'd use the car for. For DDing and straight line go fast fun, I'd go VR. But if you're using it for good handling on back roads or track, I'd go 2.0. The VR makes the front end way too heavy for good handling, and will understeer like a mofo.

Here's some good info on the swaps.
VR Project: 1989 Golf CL VR6
2.0 VWVortex.com - DIY: 2.0L ABA Swap! New and Improved!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom.
I think the first reason I was first drawn to vdubs was because of the handling. Your response has made my opt for the 2.0 to keep that go gart feel I have come to love.
"heavy and under steering" are NOT adjectives I want to use when describing my vw.

So I'm thinking the first thing I wanna get is a new clutch and flywheel for the 2.0. So when the engine comes out I can throw those in.

What are some good sites for parts? Aftermarket and oem. It's been awhile since I ordered anything and was hoping not to do an extensive forum and google search.

Also thanks for the links Tom!!!!! That DIY 2.0l forum will be invaluable as I move forward I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tom... Awesome sites! Especially black forest.

I hooked up a battery the other day to verify the mileage on the salvaged 96 GTI.
(probably should of done this when I bought it. Lol) Indeed there are 37,760 miles on the 2.0. I will be moving ahead with the swap. I'll start a build thread since I have many other questions about how to proceed.

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
Vrs handle well in my opinion i have driven vr6s and 2.0s and tdis and the difference in handling just doesn't seem that noticeable yes you can tell slightly that the 2.0 is a little quicker into the turn and yes just a little. I say go with a vr6. They are great motors and so are the 2.0s but there just isn't replacement for displacement

1 - 6 of 6 Posts