VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing the 2.0 x-flow to my 1.8 8v. I have a lift and numerous tools available to me. can I do it myself. what does it involve? can anyone break the process down step by step or know of a site that has? thanks

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
get the complete wiring harness, and engine. (you can use your tranny but if you'd like you can swap in the cable shift, but not nesecary) pull out you engine and take out the complete harness. put in the new one and reinstall the new engine. will bolt right in, I don't think your down pipe will bolt to the ne manifold, so you'll bneed a mk3 one. it's farly straight forward. you've got ce1 wiring so i don't know what kind of wiring needs to be done. there's quite a few peop[le doing this swap now so there's somone who knows. but as far as mounts go yours will all line up.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
get the complete wiring harness, and engine. (you can use your tranny but if you'd like you can swap in the cable shift, but not nesecary) pull out you engine and take out the complete harness. put in the new one and reinstall the new engine. will bolt right in, I don't think your down pipe will bolt to the ne manifold, so you'll bneed a mk3 one. it's farly straight forward. you've got ce1 wiring so i don't know what kind of wiring needs to be done. there's quite a few peop[le doing this swap now so there's somone who knows. but as far as mounts go yours will all line up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cars that came with the ABA weren't cable shift, they were big input shaft 020s, like the 16v tranny. You'll just have to swap the clutch disc to make it work. It's CE2... but yeah.. what he said.

Make it easy on yourself... source the 2L and harness from and OBD1 car (95 and earlier). From there it pretty much plugs right in. I think there's one wire on the back of the fuse box you have to move... I'll have to check which one. You'll need a downpipe... the one from the MK3 will work just fine.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by projectmk2:
estimate costs if done by a shop?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you lived over here... I'd probably do it for under $1500... all parts included.

Where's vdub tuning when you need them?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
If you lived over here... I'd probably do it for under $1500... all parts included.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aptuning would most likly be a little more but probably not much more. Sorry i thought mk3's were cable shift, my bad. They're pretty easy to find in most salvage yards and check the forums there's tons of them for sale. good luck

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Tim got his xflow swap for 1700$ from wicked

Do it yourself, will be much more rewarding in the end.

[ December 14, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
759 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by projectmk2:
to do that I need a clear cut step by step.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

check around the web. I know futrel has a step by step with pictures for a vr6 swap i'm sure somone has one for a xflow. in thre spring i can give you a hand. If you can pull out your motor you can put in the new one. vw's are pretty simply set up. the swap aounds alittle intimidating if you've never pulled a motor or anything, but once you start it's not too hard. as long as you have everything , engine harness, ecu. and manifold. i pulled my engine outside in the rain and it was the first time and it was alot easier then i thought it was gonna be.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doing oil changes

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just build up my aba bottom end with the 1.8 top end it was reallly simple i got the hole motor for 400 with computer and used my old tranny 16v plate and sport clutch bolted right up

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
ABF 16v and VR6 MK3s are cable shift, 2L 4cyl GTIs aren't... at least here in the US.

You want the full swap rundown for OBD1? Pull out your motor... put in the new motor (use your clutch). Pull out your fusebox, match up the plugs, plug them in. Move 1 wire if I remember correctly. Turn key... drive.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
the best motor swap run down i've ever heard. All you need is a picture of a half finished swap and your set.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HidRo:
but mk3 GTI and VR6 are cable shift!!the other ones are not!isn't that correct!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABF 16v and VR6 MK3s are cable shift, 2L 4cyl GTIs aren't... at least here in the US.

You want the full swap rundown for OBD1? Pull out your motor... put in the new motor (use your clutch). Pull out your fusebox, match up the plugs, plug them in. Move 1 wire if I remember correctly. Turn key... drive.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you dont want to do it yourself, or if you want help you can call my brother. he opened a shop in montgomery county back in Nov. Its on 309 like 2min from the mall.

·
Registered
526 Posts
tim didnt do his swap and im still working on mine so until i finish my swap and get some insurance for vdub tuning i dont think there will be a lot of heavy modding like engine swaps

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
If you dont want to do it yourself, or if you want help you can call my brother. he opened a shop in montgomery county back in Nov. Its on 309 like 2min from the mall.
Can your brother give me a good price?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what about the whole ABA swap... I can never understand this one. What does it entail and what parts will I need? step by step for this would be GREAT.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts