VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am willing to spend a max of around 12-14Gs. it would be nice to spend less since im 17, and will be paying it off through a loan.

i was thinking about a VW MK4. i was thinking a golf..since my brother has one and i like it, or a GTI, since they are quicker.

i will probably want to get 1.8 turbo, no matter which i get.(VR6 cost a lot more to insure as i was told)

i was thinking about getting a 01 or 02...
are 1.8T golfs hard to find? i havnt seen them in autotrader..only the 2.0s

i dont think i want to heavily upgrade the car...if i did.. at most maybe a CAI or something like that... im not all into street racing, but i do like quick cars..

can somebody give me more info and sugguest some ideas to me? and possibly some price i could expect to pay by the end of summer - beginning of winter?

THANKS!

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Welcome

GTI's are not quicker than Golfs, if they have the same engine.

1.8t Golfs are harder to come by, even harder is a 4 door 1.8t Golf (Zachs Wrecked car
)

If you do not plan on modding it much I would atleast go with a Chip. You say you don't have many plans but if you hang around here for awhile that will quickly change.

It is easy to find one in the price range you are looking for.

Once you find a car, post up the details and stats on it and we will be able to tell you if it is a good deal or not.

Best of luck and welcome to VWF and Dub tunning (It owns you now)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haah thanks, i was at a different forum and they respond every ...year.... you guys are quick, thanks

ill stay here and wont go back

cant wait to get a VW..right now i am driving a '95 318i BMW...nice car and all for me..but man, that thing is sooo sluggish. it will go fast once you get out of 2nd and into higher RPMs...
i guess thats mainly because its at a little over 120,000 miles and my parents keep saying...yeah sure, we will get a tune up for it....they have been saying that forever...never has had a tune up..yeah i know... that sounds really bad... i wont treat my VW that way!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh... also.. the reason why i was leaning toward the GTI..yeah this sounds sad...is because i HATE the stock golf wheels.. they uuugly..but i dont really feel like buying wheels because they cost i think 1000 bucks plus what if i dont like what they look like when on the car?!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SORRY FOR POSTING LIKE EVERY 2 SECONDS!!!

but... what will a chip do? is there really a much a difference with and without a chip...and how much are they to buy and install?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there a way to edit posts? i keep wanting to ask questions but then i have to do another post and it is probably very annoying... well anyways..

what are these "20th" GTis i hear about? can you tell me about those too?

·
Registered
872 Posts
if your not planning on doing too much to it i would get a VR6 ... i have had both (in a jetta) and the VR6 had better torque and was geared differently... but if i had 12-14k to buy a car over again... sorry to say it but i would probably buy a 240sx and swap an S15 into it... you would be pushing 325 WBHP for like 10 K (sorry guys but thats fast!)

·
Registered
510 Posts
hmm i dont know where to start, okey here:
1. Dont buy a 2.0
2.A chip is about $500 and gives u about 30-40 hp which is best bang for the buck, and you get it at www.goapr.com
VR6 or 1.8T? Thats up to you I guess, I got a 1.8 and love it.
Good luck

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Chip: The software that contols every aspect of your engine. Injector pulses, boost, timing, ect. A chip ups the boost from about 7-9 psi - 15-19psi. This gives a good jump in horsepower. The chip sets the injectors and timing accordingly so everything runs smooth. It also ups the Redline by 1000rpm bringing the 1.8t redline to 7100rpm

20th AE: A special edition GTI put out by VW. Comes with 180hp 1.8t, custom trimmed Interior, 18" OZ wheels, Dual exhaust, ect.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
but if i had 12-14k to buy a car over again... sorry to say it but i would probably buy a 240sx and swap an S15 into it... you would be pushing 325 WBHP for like 10 K (sorry guys but thats fast!)
rronnicc: Shh, don't give the kid bad advice! No one wants that. A modded 1.8t or Vr6t could take a sr20dett and look 1000x better doing it

[ March 14, 2004: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
872 Posts
i love VW's dont get me wrong but this kid i know its running 19 psi out of a 1.8t and this S15 In a fast back waxed him by like 2 car legnths on a 1/4 plus it costs lest with the swap then the kids gti did stock (i know you can make Vw's fly and look rought but you can make a fast car for little $$$)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ronicdawger. im not all into ugly cars/ ricers ... i think a VW witha chip will do just fine for me

thanks anyways

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Welcome

GTI's are not quicker than Golfs, if they have the same engine.

1.8t Golfs are harder to come by, even harder is a 4 door 1.8t Golf (Zachs Wrecked car
)

If you do not plan on modding it much I would atleast go with a Chip. You say you don't have many plans but if you hang around here for awhile that will quickly change.

It is easy to find one in the price range you are looking for.

Once you find a car, post up the details and stats on it and we will be able to tell you if it is a good deal or not.

Best of luck and welcome to VWF and Dub tunning (It owns you now)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like those 4 door 1.8t's
I see them around all the time. And sometimes i think they are fake..hahaha =X cause it just looks like a plain 2.0 GOLF =)

[ March 14, 2004: Message edited by: GTI 1.8T ]

·
Registered
345 Posts
I see that you live in california...try hitting ebay...Autotrader has a lot of "GTI's" but not Golfs.....and most of the prices are really good...let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
all the dealers in south OC r trying to get way too much for the car they are selling... ill check autotrader as you said

thanks

[ March 14, 2004: Message edited by: brien ]

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brien:
all the dealers in south OC r trying to get way too much for the car they are selling... ill check autotrader as you said

thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OC? Orange County?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by brien:
thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OC? Orange County?

--------------------------------------

yes

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brien:

thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is what i did... autotrader, flew to atlanta and drove it back here... 110 plain ticket and 20 bucks in gas.... got it for right around 11,000

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now, when you guys go to buy your cars... do you usually get the person to give you the car for less? how can i do this? also... since no1 in my family is good with cars and always say... get one from a dealer..... if i want to get one privately, but if it is like 100 miles away from my house..should i just call around and find a mechanic before i look at car and bring it to him and have him take a look?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts