VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a Caravelle Syncro 2.5L. I understand the thermo is placed on the bottom right side of the engine. (Correct?)
I guess I need to remove the bottom engine cover. (Any thing to remember with this?) Open the thermo housing, replacing both thermo and O-ring, and closing it all up again.
As most mechanical minded of you probably see straight away, is the truckload of little tricks and gotcha's I've left out.
Would have use a local garage for this, as it's minus twentyish outside. Not good weather to be fiddling with liquids in, but even worse to be driving without heat in...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All done.

Notes to bear in mind:
Carefully consider the engine and coolant temperature before you do this, some splashing should be expected.
The thermo lives behind the black plastic lid the bottommost (rerurn) hose terminates in. The lid faces forward and slightly down on my 2,5l, and sits somewhat on the bottom of the front part of the engine, near the serpentine belt. Accessible from underneath the car. If you have the bottom engine tray on place, I guess this needs to come off first.
It is probably easier to remove the hose from the lid, (I did) but I expect you could get away without. As this is the bottommost part of the coolant circle, most coolant will eagerly flood once the hose is removed, or the lid is opened. You will get wet, accept it.
The lid is fastened by two bolts. You'll need an agile 10mm pipe tool to get at these.
After they're off, gently pry loose the plastic lid. (Plastic = brakes easy.)
Withdraw the old thermo, if it was stuck on cold like mine was, expect a waterfall at this point.
If a bolt fals into the dyno carrier, it's nearly impossible to get hold of while the lid is in place. Fiddling after a bolt immersed in a pool of coolant by feel, was an rather unpleasant task.

If at all possible, do this in a nice warm garage. It can be done outdoors in -25, like I just did, but I would not reccomend it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts