VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so there is a recal on the coil packs on the 1.8t so the dealer says they will exchange it on my 15thousand mile oil change I say ok and leave the car with them for the whole day. I pick up the car they say they changed the oil, coils, and reprogramed my computer chip they call. I go crazy. I test my car for one block and and boosting 10 psi stock. I go back in and go crazy at the guy why they had tuched my chip and he tellz me because they had to reprogram it because of the egnition coils he says come back monday we will figure something out what do u guys have to say? will they pay for a new chip ???? 530 $$$$

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm sorry to say they won't pay for the chip. First what chip did you have? I know some chip makers have it so that if the dealer did flash the chip, it won't effect it while others don't.
jon

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
alright so there is a recal on the coil packs on the 1.8t so the dealer says they will exchange it on my 15thousand mile oil change I say ok and leave the car with them for the whole day. I pick up the car they say they changed the oil, coils, and reprogramed my computer chip they call. I go crazy. I test my car for one block and and boosting 10 psi stock. I go back in and go crazy at the guy why they had tuched my chip and he tellz me because they had to reprogram it because of the egnition coils he says come back monday we will figure something out what do u guys have to say? will they pay for a new chip ???? 530 $$$$<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As asked what chip do you have? Most manufacturers aftermarket chips do not allow a reflash. Are you in stock mode?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
WOW THAT F'N SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

i have a feeling that they won't pay to reprogram your chip!

·
Registered
133 Posts
First off, you have to watch with your warrenty. Be happy they did the work - hopefully all at no cost to you. Dealers DO NOT LIKE to hear you have your car chipped. As Chris said, if the dealer goes to flash your chip, it will come up as an unsuccessful flash and start to question. Don't right out say, oh yeah I have a chip. They could void your warrenty on the spot. Technically they really shouldn't open up your ecu, but you never know with dealers.

If you have the APR Direct Port, no problem. Take it back to any APR dealer and they will reflash it no charge. If it is some other chip, I really don't know what to tell you.

I would check to see if it is in stock mode. Probably to be on the safe side the dealer unhooked your battery to install the packs. If this is the case, then an APR chip will automatically go into stock mode (program one). Your other program(s) are set slot two, slot three..ect. It is normally set that way so if something like that does happen, it will be in stock - especially if someone else works on your car.

Let us know what chip you have and what the rest of your story is at the dealers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I spoke with the manager at autobarn dealer where I purchased my 1.8t and they will do something about it it wasnt my fault they didnt tell me that they have to tuck the chip it is frekin obvious it was changed and they should have tuched it comon sense a dub that has like all the basics changed that the warranty dont even matter to me I told him that so monday I will know what they gonna do

·
Registered
473 Posts
So what chip do you have? take 2 Was it soldered to the board or direct port? If it was soldered it will not reflash. If it was uploaded like APR DPP or Revo, then just take it to the place that did the upgrade and they should take care of you. At the most you should only have to pay for the new labor to reflash it; you already own software rights. Also, if you got the letter regarding the 1.8T coil recall...it clearly states they would like to reflash your ECU.

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: cyaneye ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts