VW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Today it seems someone knocked out the glass from my wing mirror, so that it detached from the plastic backing. I am trying to remove the plastic backing and managed to take it off - however I cannot disconnect the wires. Specificlaly if you look at the second picture down here:

VWVortex.com - DIY: Mirror Cap Removal

you see the two wires. I pulled on them reasonably hard and they don't budge (and it was distorting the plastic backings shape, so not sure this is good!). Perhaps I don't understand how to do it correctly. What I can see on this wire is a plastic cover over the end of the wire - so wire goes in one end of this cover. Then the other end of this cover is attached to a metal contact pointing out from the back of the mirror. Am I correct the black plastic should slide off the metal so that I am left with a wire hanging out with the black plastic cover attached? If not what exactly should I be looking to detach?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. Pull.
Thanks both of you - I gave it a really hard pull and it came off. Guess I was too scared of breaking something...

Next question.....is it safe to glue the glass back onto the backing (which I guess is plastic + heating element - so I would be glueing to the latter)? Or is the wise thing to do, to go to the local VW dealership tomorrow and buy a new component?

Cheers,

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.