VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just purchased a 2004 golf with 2.0 gas engine. In two short weeks he leaves for college 400 miles away and this car can not be trusted! I've searched the internet and have found a half dozen credible answers and a dozen crazy ones. Here's the problem;
The car will consistently have a rpm drop and epc light comes on. This usually happens when slowing for a red light our stop sign. Rpms will then return to normal. On several occasions the car has stalled and cut off. The car would restart and he could continue to drive. On 3 different occasions the car has stalled and would not restart. If we leave it alone and come back at least an hour later it would crank right up with no problem.
These are some of the "answers" we have found... fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel regulator, vac hose from regulator to intake, engine speed sensor, and throttle body. I even read one past that said it had to do with the abs. Really, abs?
It's obvious that this German engineering is way over our heads. I hope someone can help us not regret this purchase. The fuel pump seems fine. During those times the car wouldn't crank we can hear the pump running. We replaced the fuel filter and Ray was the three strangest filter I have ever seen. That's all we've done but I try and inspect vac hoses tomorrow.
Please help, he leaves in 2 weeks and we simply can afford to replace parts until we find the right one.
(The best post and most similar to our problem came from an 02 passet with 1.9 diesel. His problem was the engine speed sensor. When we look for that part we find them for 01 through03 and the same part fits 05 but nothing for 04)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Does the check engine light ever come on?

Check to see how dirty your MAF is too.

I would say it'd be either the MAF, coil pack, or engine speed sensor.

GermanAutoParts.com has just about every part you could ever need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah,

We have read that the MAF could be it. Also read that we could unplug it and drive without it to test if problem stopped. Problem didn't stop but it did sound like a giant vacuum cleaner under the hood.

The engine light is always on. It flashes sometimes when epc comes on.

Temperature sensor is a new one... he was on the way to get codes read yesterday after work when it cut off and wouldn't crank back up. We went back a couple hours later and it adjusted right up. He is taking it today around 3 to get choices read. Y'all stay tuned...

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Codes given

These are the codes:

Po102
Po113
Po321
Po322
P2181
Po420

One is the maf and parts man said it could generate the other codes. Does that sound right?

Another is the engine speed sensor. He said this was also known as crank position sensor. Having a hard time finding this part for this year model. The parts I've found fit 01-03 and the 05. The 04 model is skipped

One is for temp sensor

One is catalytic converter

I'm cleaning the maf now and will check to see if their is improvement.

So what do yall think?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Clean the MAF, then unplug your battery to a minute or 2 to reset the computer and reconnect it, and drive it. When/if the check engine light comes back, check the codes. I'd bet it's the engine speed sensor/crankshaft position sensor/engine RPM sensor. Sensor has a lot of names..

P0420 happens a lot on these cars, but it's usually the o2 sensor and not the cat. That could be an issue with it dieing on you, but it wouldn't cause the other issues you've been having.

The flashing check engine light means you're misfiring. Since you've changed the fuel filter and you can hear the pump prime, I'd would look into the coil pack that's located under the secondary air injection pump on the front of the engine. Get a spray bottle and mist it with the car on and see if you see an arc or the motor sound different. If it does, then your coil is cracked somewhere and needs replacement. If it doesn't, then pop one spark plug wire off at a time; if it doesn't make a difference in sound, then that plug wire is bad.

Here's the speed sensor. GermanAutoParts.com : Volkswagen Golf EngineElectrical

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks tom5191! We will try your suggestions and then the speed sensor. Question is there just one coilpack. I have Ford's and Chevy running form year models 2000 to 2004. All3 of them have individual coil packs on each spark plug.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The 2.0 has one coil pack that's behind the secondary air injection pump. You'll need to take that injection pump off to be able to access the coil pack.

All you need to do is unplug the harness, hose that connects to the air box, and then remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold the pump to the bracket.

You can run the car with the injection pump unplugged, and be fine to do the coil and plug wire test. It'll just throw a code. Take the battery off again and reset the ECU and it'll go away once it's all back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I cleaned the MAF(after finally figuring out how to access it. My partsstor only carries 6 point security torx tools. The German's like 5 point torx)

We have drove the car about 20 miles and no engine light and now ECU. My son says it its driving great. So hopefully the problem is fixed and it was just the MAF.

So, ... we will see. If it is fixed Ix
'm going to offer to buy him a for sale sign ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a few more miles the epc light has come back on and the engine has hiccup a few times. We will test the coil pack tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts