VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys whats up i just did a swap from an 8v to 16v i changed the motor wiring but didnt change all of the other wiring and it connecteed right up.but the problme is that my fuel pump dont come on and the starter clicks but doesnt crank.i tryed jumpin it with my budies car but it didnt change and i tryed another starter.can anyone help me thanx

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
check and make sure all your grounds are connected. second what injetion did your car have? I don't think the fuel pumps are interchangable between the different injections. but the stater thing could be a ground left. you said you changed the starter and it still did the same thing?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Fuel pump will be fine. Check the voltage to the starter. The fuel pump shouldn't turn on until the motor cranks. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey fellas i just checked the grounds in the engine bay they are good.ill check the starter with a meter and c what happens.im runnin cis-e injection.what other grounds should i check and where at in the car.thanx for the help.hey 89jettawolfs u live clos u should some come down sometime and check the car out and i can meet ya.later on guys

·
Registered
349 Posts
the wiring for the fuel pump is different on the 16v from the 8v back by the pump. the 16v has 3 wires where as the 8v has 2. the wiring connections may have fit right in underneath the dash but the wiring may be different. check the connections around the wires for the fuel pump that the same color wires match up on both sides of the connection fittings. also the 2.0 fuel pump is a larger pump than the 1.8. as far as the starter clicking, check your battery voltage. even with a jump on it, sometimes it may not give it enough power to turn over. if you have a volt meter, check the voltage drop between the big red wire from the battery to the starter. have a friend hold the leads of the meter to each end of the wire and crank it. it should read .2v or less on the meter. also check the connection of the battery terminal, it may be coroded or some wires may have broken from age. let us know

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A2jetta:
hey fellas i just checked the grounds in the engine bay they are good.ill check the starter with a meter and c what happens.im runnin cis-e injection.what other grounds should i check and where at in the car.thanx for the help.hey 89jettawolfs u live clos u should some come down sometime and check the car out and i can meet ya.later on guys<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>i won't have time this week. Ass loads of work at the shop. But maybe next weekend we'll see what's going on. if you put in a starter that youknow is good and it did the same hting. It's not the starter. follow the wires and make sure when pulling or putting in the motor nothing got pinched somwhere or cut. make sure the connections at the starter are good.are you sue the fuel pump isn't working right. I'd figure out the starter and if it cranks but won't start go from there. have somone turn on the key and crouch down next to the rear passenger side. and listen for the buzz.

[ December 14, 2003: Message edited by: 89jettawolfs ]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey fellas thanx for the help ill try what u guys said and ill go from there.89jettawolfs keep me posted on if ur comin down.ill let u guys know what happen with all of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys on my battery terminal for positive there is three wires comin out of the connector the thick red one,the thinner one that runs to the starter and another one thats thin but it was cut does that have anything to do with my problem. and i dont have 2.0 i have a 1.816v and 1.8fuel pump.and where do i follow the wires from the fuel pump to the......

[ December 15, 2003: Message edited by: A2jetta ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts