VW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Jetta 4-1984 2.0L. The spark plugs were replaced in June 2021 and oil change last week.
However, I was driving up a shaky dirt road incline when I suddenly had trouble accelerating. The acceleration was jerky and after I parked and turned the car off, the real trouble began.
I was able to start my car, but I would get a high pitched whirring noise and some sputters, and then the car would die. The car would stay alive a little longer if I FLOODED it with gas, but then it would start to smell.
I took it to the shop, and they got 6 codes or so and recommended the mass air flow sensor and spark plugs. Because my plugs were recently replaced, I bought the MAF sensor and replaced it myself and there was no change. Still at the shop, and we're not entirely sure what could be wrong. I don't want to waste $$ replacing spark plugs if that's not the issue, but I'm at a loss here. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 03 Jetta GLS 2.0. 90k. I had similar symptoms. Car would idle ok but as soon as you gas it it would run rough and die. Long story the CAT broke up and all the debris wound up in a big wad at the front end of my muffler. I had misfire codes, MAF codes, Coil Pack code, Camshaft sensor codes. I disconnected the exhaust after the CAT and it ran fine and no codes. Just got it back from muffler shop tonight. New muffler and CAT. Might be worth checking. Good luck.
Charcoal Automotive tire Wood Gas Cooking

1 - 2 of 2 Posts