VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of a newb with fixing my own car problems, but I'm always willing to try. This is what happened to me so far: About a month after my most recent drive from Calgary to Vancouver and back (about 2,000km), I noticed that my coolant level began to fall. I thought it was just because of the crazy driving and just refilled it.

However, the coolant was almost entirely gone the next day, so I followed my father's advice and bought some sort of sealant that was supposed to stop the leak. All it did was gunk up the coolant tank with weird foam. I kept refilling the tank and the coolant kept disappearing. I ran around the car like a madman, looking for a puddle, but I could never find one.

This morning, I started the car, and the red coolant light came on. I had no more coolant in the car, so I ran home and got some water (yes, I know I shouldn't put water in there, but a. I needed to get to the gas station to get more coolant temporarily and b. it's summer and it all would've leaked out anyway). Sure enough, the moment I put in the water, I noticed it leaking out of somewhere near my right wheel (where the coolant tank is)! Anyway, by the time I got to the gas station, most of the water seemed to have leaked out, so I put in some proper coolant so that I could at least use the car in the meanwhile.

Here are my questions: Is this a common thing? Can I fix this myself, or should I take it to the mechanic? My father (the former chemical engineer) has more crazy ideas (e.g. putting mustard in the coolant--which is supposed to stop the leak), but I really want to end this nightmare once and for all. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Which motor do you have again?

I really don't advise putting any damn thing into a coolant system other than coolant. Some tricks work like the egg trick but they're few and far between for positive results. It's best to just replace the section of pipe.

Helps a lot if you get right under the car. Really the only coolant lines that should be on that side is rad hose and the hoses straight to the coolant ball. usually it'll be more in the middle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2.0L. Well, thanks for giving me your opinion. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the wherewithal to get under the car and replace the hose, though it really helps to know what's wrong when I talk to the mechanic tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
sounds like a pin hole.. or a cracked plastic coolant junction piece.

its hard to say unless i can see it..
usually g12 vw coolant will leave a whiteish/pinkish powdery substance by the leak site.. its a "tail" if you will to locate the leak farther.
you could try using water.. jacking the car up.. and seeing if you can see anything coming out anywhere..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts