VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am a newbe to V.w but not to autos. I own a small repair shop and just because a proud owner of a 2000 jetta VR6 with bad chain guides and all LOL . Well I am in the process of putting it back together( waiting on parts) but as i take out the engine I see that the exciter wire has been hacked and replaced with a wire going inside thru the firewall. As I look under the dash I see a bulb and socket hanging thru the cover and I say to myself that doesnt go there! Well I find out that they wired that bulb up to the exciter wire and bypassed the whole harness.My question is where does the factory exciter wire run thru? I can walk into the engine compartment( plenty of room) but I cant seem to find that wire in the harness. I want to fix it correctly but cant find the wire. It is the thinnest little wire too. It is black on the outside but it is blue on the inside ( could see the blue where it was cut) . I am going to attach a few pics to. I see the wire running down the B+ wire from the alt. but it is cut about a foot down the wire. you can see it in the pics. Also two other black wires cut on both ends? All data is terrible with German Wiring too. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
My question is where does the factory exciter wire run thru? All data is terrible with German Wiring too. :(
u mean no data? XD

the exciter wire starts at the alternator and it ends at Pin 16 on the cluster plug (idiot light) via U2/12 plug at the fuse panel.

I am not pos on the incoming plug to the fuse panel but it shoudl come via the A/C or body harness.

i think that might help not to sure i did some research on vortex for ya.

oh and if ur planning to do major wiring repairs and install an engine id highly recommend buying a bently manual for a vr6 jetta it will do u wonders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay sounds good. When i get a little extra time im going to pull the cluster and check the light in the dash,i hope it works!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts