VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im new here but i need your helop badly, heres the story....

I work at as a setup technician at a local yard equiptment shop. We also service cars. Well a few weeks ago we got this golf in... it died on the owner randomly. now we been going over this thing in and out for a few weeks, the owner has decided to sell it. Its a 96 golf 4dr gl with 151k on it... now mechanuically the car seems to be fine so we assume its eletrical, and when we plug it into diagnostics it get so many error codes, we check them and things seem fine but car still wont start. We tried replacign the the computer with another one fo same year and model and it was trying to turn over now, but still wont start. we found a broken wire int eh wiring harness and fixed that, still wont start... battery is fine as well... can anyone tell be whats going on here? i mean i can pick up this car for 500 but i dont want to waste the money fi its impossible to fix but i really want the car....

HELP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dumb question but did you check for spark? I think they still used a hall effect sendor in the 96s not sure so check the distributor cap rotor all things that have allready been checked iam sure bad coil bad coil wire can all lead to that what were the codes the comp threw at you i can help more they had a problem with fuel pump relay in that year also.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i would also check to see if the cam is moving while cranking the motor if not that will explain the problem could have snaped a timing belt iam not sure what all you have checked for

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have spark on all 4 cylenders...cam is turning as well.... thanks for helping also! any other ideas?

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: XRedlineRX ]

·
Registered
400 Posts
well if you have spark you have on key element to making fire did you check for fuel? fuel pump relay fuel pump injectors umm My golf had the fuel pump relay go out in it left me stranded they had a problem where the car would run for like 10 minutes then shut off if you waited it would strat up again check the relay let me know if it has fuel and ill try to help from there

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
If the distributor isn't in the right spot... at all, even timed a little wrong, it will throw codes and often wont run.

And yeah, fuel is good too. And timing. MAFs go bad. I'm out of it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
If the distributor isn't in the right spot... at all, even timed a little wrong, it will throw codes and often wont run.

And yeah, fuel is good too. And timing. MAFs go bad. I'm out of it...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks bro adding that to y lsit of things to check for tomarrow, i'll post the results tomarrow and let yall know what happens

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well after a few hours into it and replacing a screwed timing belt and readjusting the timing on everything and doing everything possible we could think of... the car still wont start. Im in a corner here so if anyone has any ideas... i mean i dont want to just be throwing money at this guessing... i need it to start and we dont have a diagnostics computer unfortunatly... help? or if anyone local that has a diagnostic for the car wouldnt mind running int ont he car for me i would be very thankful.... other thank that we're freakin stumped and im losing hope
i want a vw!

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Air, Fuel, and Spark are all there. You've got us stumped... You can pick up a 2.0 engine with half that mileage for like 300$...either way for 500$, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You can get a motor off Ebay or Vortex Classifieds. Around 350-450$ shipped anywhere in the country. Well replace the fule pump, (If they are like the mk2's theres one in the fule tank also) if that doesn't work buy the new engine and you just turned the clock back 100k miles for 300$...

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's not clear, was there fuel? (pressure and volume?)

Next step is to get a diagram and pin out the computer with a labscope.

If you guys truly covered all the bases and tested all the sensors then it's got to be a wiring problem to or from the CPU.

If the motor's NG you'd at least be able to turn it over and hear that. Unless it was frozen and then she wouldn't crank.

[ February 29, 2004: Message edited by: paladin ]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
o no it cranks like it wants to start but wont i think it might be something with the distributor so im gonna toy with that a little

·
Registered
9 Posts
The easiest solution would be to give the car to me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts